PDA

View Full Version : Wrasses etc. associating with anemones???

WDLV
01/25/2012, 12:00 PM
How common is it to see wrasses and other fishes outside Pomacentridae associating with host anemones? I'm well aware of crabs, damsels and shrimps but this is new to me.

I was sent a dive photo of what appears to be a wrasse hovering above, then amongst the tentacles of an H. mag.

- I can't post the pic yet because I have not yet watermarked them and the shots belong to a professional photog who is letting me use his photos to rebuild my website into a blog.

WDLV
01/25/2012, 12:08 PM
I have it IDed as a "scale rayed wrasse" but wrasses really aren't my forte.

Reefvette
01/25/2012, 12:17 PM
Its possible its a learned trait, Bangaii cardinals will hover around an anemone but i have seem with my own two eyes a healthy bangaii cardinal get chased into a magnifica and up at dinner.

Spicer
01/25/2012, 12:17 PM
I have a christmas wrasse that sleeps DIRECTLY under a rock flower anemone. :-/

Ive constanly seen him get touched by the tenticles with no shock ect.

MarinaP
01/25/2012, 12:21 PM
I have a six line that hangs out in a very close proximity to a mag. It looks bizzare.

Jeremy Blaze
01/25/2012, 12:31 PM
It is well documented that several species of fish outside of the clown family, have a close association with anemones.

Several wrasses, typicaly only as juvieiles will stay close to them, as well as damsels, cardinals, pipefish, and of course several inverts, like pistol shrimp, crabs, etc...

WDLV
01/25/2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks to the previous postings and those that follow. I'm just putting my feelers out there to see what the general knowledge base is on such an event and will follow the thread (probably without much posting.)

Jeremy Blaze
01/25/2012, 12:37 PM
What are you wanting to know? Yes, it is natural for many species to associate with anemones.

Are you looking for specific species?

WDLV
01/25/2012, 12:40 PM
What are you wanting to know? Yes, it is natural for many species to associate with anemones.

Are you looking for specific species?

Sure. If you have access to them. Moreover I was just looking to see how common it was. The photo was an H. mag in Bali that was host to a scale rayed wrasse and at least a pair of A. perideraion.

Jeremy Blaze
01/25/2012, 12:44 PM
Well how common, is a tough question to answer. Common to what? Overall fish speices, not common, with specific species, very common.

WDLV
01/25/2012, 12:45 PM
;-)

I think you answered my question.

Jeremy Blaze
01/25/2012, 12:46 PM
Great! I thought I was confusing myself for a minute!

cichlidconvert
01/25/2012, 02:39 PM
I have a starry blenie that makes himself at home in the middle of a stack of BTA's i filmed a bit of video yesterday and then erased thinking i wouldn't use i will try to post a pic when it happens.

Whip316
01/25/2012, 06:41 PM
my midas zips real close and touches the rbta when it plays with my Tricinctus pair. it doesnt hover in the nem, but kinda goes in and out with the clowns...