PDA

View Full Version : AE Tech 36 Pro Sump/Refugium

meeandcharlie
01/25/2012, 12:24 PM
Hi! I am fairly new to SW and could use some advice/opinions before a purchase. (Maybe this should be in the New To Hobby forum?) I recently bought a 180 gal setup from my LFS. They delivered, set up and plumbed it to a drilled 75 gal (tank) sump. However, I am not happy with the 'sump'. It has no baffles or compartments at all to work with. Plus it takes up a lot of space under my (6 ft) cabinet. I would like more space for future items, and I have an external pump. I am in no way a DIY person, and would not be able to re-work this sump or make one. I am looking at the AE Tech 36 Pro Sump/Reugium

http://www.aquacave.com/refugium-hd-36-pro-sump-brby-ae-tech-1813.html

I do like that it has 3/8" acrylic rather than 1/4". Any advice, opinions and suggestions would be overwhelmingly appreciated!! Cost is not really a big factor, but I do not want to waste money either. I tried to do a search here (that is how I get answers to most, if not all questions I have), but I am unable to search. Thanks so very much!!!

Drae
01/25/2012, 01:27 PM
Imho, there's no need for that sump. You can have one built for a fraction of that and a better design at that. If it were me, I would do something in the neighborhood of 50 gallons (36x20x18) give or take. It'd be shorter than 4' but the width would make up for that. Jmo

Drae
01/25/2012, 01:35 PM
Looking at that sump again, copy that design with a 40 breeder for about 150$. less if you wait until petco 1$ a gallon.

meeandcharlie
01/25/2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks so very much Drae! Greatly appreciate your input. My problem is I am not a DIY type of person. So my designing one and building it is out of the question. I don't know of anyone in my area who could build one for me. I will keep researching.

tank2080
02/27/2013, 09:16 PM
Not a good product. Seam on my split after 4 months. AE Tech does not respond to emails showing pictures of now worthless sump.