PDA

View Full Version : How does my work look?

GrowingTheReef
01/25/2012, 05:49 PM
This is the top of my 55 gallon. I built the canopy for two reasons..
1-block out light.
2-to have a finished look and hide equipment and wires.
Does this look good to you all? i did silicone the wood so no moisture would get into the corners, or rust the screws.. i will be putting a diy led system over the tank soon that is why the top is open, the Led heat sinks will hang from a diy lighting rack. it will be made of pvc and stand about 14 inches from the water surface so i can raise and lower led's... also the pvc will hide the wires because you can see into my canopy.. so in everyones opinion do you think i should keep the canopy or trash it? im having second thoughts about it. filling the tank very soon so would like input :fun4: thanks in advance

gpx1200
01/25/2012, 05:58 PM
1. keep it
2 get some aluminum sheet from home depot and polish the crap out of it(car buffer works great) then line the inside of the conopy with it, this way no light gets wasted and the light is more even with less spotlighting and shadows

GrowingTheReef
01/25/2012, 06:00 PM
1. keep it
2 get some aluminum sheet from home depot and polish the crap out of it(car buffer works great) then line the inside of the conopy with it, this way no light gets wasted and the light is more even with less spotlighting and shadows

Might sound stupid but will aluminum rust? should i coat it with anything? sorry i had to ask, going to lowes tomorrow so i might pick up your idea

Tarkin
01/25/2012, 06:03 PM
aluminum won't rust, but it does corrode. i'm not sure what coating to use, but if you go to the trouble of buffing it, etc, and don't coat it, the salt spray, etc, will eventually mess it all up anyways. Typically I think you'd want it anodized.

Later
C

GrowingTheReef
01/25/2012, 06:13 PM
hmmm ok. i might get the aluminum. any thoughts on the pvc lighting hanging system? lol ill put a pic of a CAD drawing soon maybe

cody6766
01/25/2012, 06:14 PM
It's not really called rusting, but aluminum oxidizes. Rust is oxidation, but oxidation isn't considered rust.

Spraying the polished surface with a clear coat spray paint will help with oxidation. It may prevent some degree of reflectivity, but I doubt it matters all that much.

tinkerman
01/25/2012, 06:35 PM
Put a back and top on it and paint with white paint inside. White paint will do just as good of a job as the aluminum will.

GrowingTheReef
01/25/2012, 06:41 PM
it is painted white which is why i didnt wanna go with aluminum.

rocking
01/25/2012, 08:14 PM
as a lot of stands and hoods the bace of what you have is good but u need a little more suports in the back

rocking
01/25/2012, 08:17 PM
the wide open back is nice but it does not work so well do to bending so u need to incose it all the way or at lest 3/4 of the way

peppie
01/25/2012, 09:06 PM
Mylar would be my suggestion to line the canopy in. It will reflect much better, lighter, cheaper.