PDA

View Full Version : How much to feed tank?

NikeLV
01/25/2012, 11:01 PM
Hey RC! I really want to know if I am feeding my tank to little, just right, or too much. I currently feed Hikari Mysis 1 day, Spirulina Brine the 2nd day, and Ocean Plankton the 3rd day and repeat. I feed one cube a day, everyday: 1/3 in the morning, 1/3 in the afternoon and the rest in the evening. I have 5 food-aggressive Lyretail Anthias, 1 ocellaris clownfish, 1 coral beauty angel, and a small Blue Tang. I also feed a 2x2 sheet of Red Marine Algae every other day to my Blue Tang. How is my feeding method?

Aside from all this, I feed Coral Frenzy every 3 days and Kent Marine Phyto/Zoo occasionally to feed my sps coral

BTW, how is Nutramar Ova prawn eggs? is that only effective for small fish? can bigger fish such as Lyretail Anthias eat it as a day's meal?

How much do YOU guys feed your amount of fish?

Virtuoso
01/25/2012, 11:22 PM
I am still new to all this, especially the feeding schedule, but that sounds pretty ideal to me. Clearly, you've put a lot of thought into it.

ReefHoboBum
01/25/2012, 11:25 PM
That seems like a lot to me, how many fish and how big is your tank?

sporto0
01/25/2012, 11:47 PM
All floating food should be consumed ideally in 2 minutes, anything still visible after that means your feeding too much at one time. In my personal opinion, feeding Coral Frenzy every 3 days is way too much, I use that once or twice a month if I'm feeling generous. On the other hand I always keep an algae clip full for my tangs or at least once a day. I would suggest you test for phosphates & this will go a long way in helping you decide if you are feeding too much.

NikeLV
01/26/2012, 12:06 AM
OP*
I did put the amount of fish in the tank on the original post, there is 8.

my fish consume the food within 1 minute each meal because my lyretail anthias are food aggressive. so 3 minute total feeding a day.

For Coral Frenzy, I just follow the manufacturers label, to feed a 50 gallon tank 5 tsp 2-3 times a week. I have a 100 gallon but I still only feed 5 tsp every 3 days. but on the day I feed my coral - Coral Frenzy.

phosphates and nitrates are undetectable. they are the least of my worries. I have a phosban + chaeto + chemipure elite and my tank is just maturing - 4 months in to the hobby.

Is one 3.5 oz cube a day too much for my tank?

sporto0
01/26/2012, 12:10 AM
OP*
I did put the amount of fish in the tank on the original post, there is 8.

my fish consume the food within 1 minute each meal because my lyretail anthias are food aggressive. so 3 minute total feeding a day.

For Coral Frenzy, I just follow the manufacturers label, to feed a 50 gallon tank 5 tsp 2-3 times a week. I have a 100 gallon but I still only feed 5 tsp every 3 days. but on the day I feed my coral - Coral Frenzy.

phosphates and nitrates are undetectable. they are the least of my worries. I have a phosban + chaeto + chemipure elite and my tank is just maturing - 4 months in to the hobby.

Is one 3.5 oz cube a day too much for my tank?

Well then your golden! Low nutrients means no nuisance algae to contend with, so I would continue with your schedule, but on a side note, of course the manufacturer will tell you to use more so that you buy more, but that's just my opinion. Good luck.

schatzi
01/26/2012, 12:20 AM
I would suggest you test for phosphates & this will go a long way in helping you decide if you are feeding too much.

+1
If you have 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates then you have no worries. Test for ammonia occasionally and this will keep you ahead of problems.

NikeLV
01/26/2012, 12:32 AM
+1
If you have 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates then you have no worries. Test for ammonia occasionally and this will keep you ahead of problems.

will overfeeding-even just by a little bit-raise phosphates and nitrates that fast?

NikeLV
01/26/2012, 12:33 AM
but on a side note, of course the manufacturer will tell you to use more so that you buy more, but that's just my opinion. Good luck.

I haven't seen any ill effects to happen with Coral Frenzy every 3 days, but I also haven't seen any outstanding effects so I will feed less often. I appreciate the advice!

Joshz400_03
01/26/2012, 12:36 AM
I do a mix of rods, mysis, and garlic and feed every other day using a turkey baster..I mix just enough for about a week and let it sit in the fridge.

schatzi
01/26/2012, 07:39 AM
will overfeeding-even just by a little bit-raise phosphates and nitrates that fast?

Probably not but that's what you're learning right now with a new tank. Test weekly and if you see numbers going up then do a water change and you could even skip feeding one day if you thought it might help. The fish would be fine.