PDA

View Full Version : DIM4 Sunrise/Sunset controller for DIY LED

lighthouze08
01/27/2012, 08:15 AM
i haven't seen many diy leds that use this controller so i decided to give it a try. The best part is no programming, just hook this to my meanwell drivers and i was set to go. You can simulate sunrise/sunset ect. I got it in the mail yesterday and it's fantastic so just wanted to let everyone know there's another option out there if you don't want to go w/ the diy route.
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/lighthouze08/a5276bca.jpg

007Bond
01/27/2012, 08:52 AM
Some more info. ck at http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096705&page=5
POST# 103
I e-mailed Justin [email protected]
the manufacturer with a few questions, and he got back to me quick.

lighthouze08
01/27/2012, 09:38 AM
Some more info. ck at http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096705&page=5
POST# 103
I e-mailed Justin [email protected]
the manufacturer with a few questions, and he got back to me quick.

thanks for the info, so far im liking it :celeb1:

007Bond
01/27/2012, 10:00 AM
Ya, I like the night lights capability without an extra driver, and the couple of relay terminals

007Bond
01/27/2012, 12:18 PM

Light, You have any plans in mind for some sort of housing ? I'd be curious what some folks might come up with.

lighthouze08
01/27/2012, 12:25 PM
Light, You have any plans in mind for some sort of housing ? I'd be curious what some folks might come up with.

because it's going to control the light, i figured that i don't mess with the setting much once everything is set so i'll just throw it under the stand, i imagine you can get a project box from radioshack, cut out the space for the lcd and the buttons?

007Bond
01/27/2012, 01:27 PM

because it's going to control the light, i figured that i don't mess with the setting much once everything is set so i'll just throw it under the stand, i imagine you can get a project box from radioshack, cut out the space for the lcd and the buttons?

Ya, I know what your saying, but sometimes reefers can't leave well enough alone, and come up with some really cool ideas! It's what sets us apart!

lighthouze08
01/27/2012, 02:40 PM
you know what would be cool? route out a box using acrylic w/ all the electronics showing inside!!!!

lighthouze08
01/27/2012, 04:44 PM
ran into a problem w/ the controller. I hooked up my blue string to channel 3 and it wont light up, tried it on channel 4 and still wont light up. but if i hook it up to channel 1 or 2 it will. Seems like channel 3 and 4 aren't working

007Bond
01/27/2012, 06:29 PM
you know what would be cool? route out a box using acrylic w/ all the electronics showing inside!!!!

Ya-- Now your talking! throw in a couple led's for effect! COOL

007Bond
01/27/2012, 06:36 PM
ran into a problem w/ the controller. I hooked up my blue string to channel 3 and it wont light up, tried it on channel 4 and still wont light up. but if i hook it up to channel 1 or 2 it will. Seems like channel 3 and 4 aren't working

E-mail that Justin dude. May be he can walk you through something, or replace it. Mention your on RC posting about the DMI4. Lets see what this company is made of.

lighthouze08
01/27/2012, 07:17 PM
i emailed them and they got back to me within the hour. Greatttt service!!! reebooted the controller and it worked

007Bond
01/27/2012, 07:39 PM
i emailed them and they got back to me within the hour. Greatttt service!!! reebooted the controller and it worked

NICE!!!! Good luck

zachts
01/29/2012, 07:03 PM

On that note a word of caution, having read the manual that is published for this controller. It warns against enclosing the controller when used to drive LEDs directly as it generates a good amount of heat and needs ventilation.

lighthouze08
01/30/2012, 11:45 AM
On that note a word of caution, having read the manual that is published for this controller. It warns against enclosing the controller when used to drive LEDs directly as it generates a good amount of heat and needs ventilation.

i think you should be fine if you use it as a controller to control the dimming b/c it's cool to the touch. i don't know about using it to drive the LEDs, that might generate some heat but i haven't gone down that route

brassmonkyballs
01/31/2012, 09:28 PM
i think you should be fine if you use it as a controller to control the dimming b/c it's cool to the touch. i don't know about using it to drive the LEDs, that might generate some heat but i haven't gone down that route

Agreed...I've been running the DIM4 for months and its cold to the touch. If you do direct drive LEDs you will likely get some heat from the drivers so it will need ventilation....which is not impossible to achieve even if in a box. In my case I just mounted it to a piece of black acrylic which is in turn mounted on top of my fixture to the heatsink. can't see it until I open the canopy.

Love the unit