PDA

View Full Version : 150 Gallon Setup this Weekend

zhewitt04
01/28/2012, 07:14 AM
I am finally settin my 150 back up after putting it in the wall. I have live sand sitting in buckets for about a month. I was curious if it was still live? If so do I need to mix my salt water up before adding the sand or can i just hook my RO DI unit straight up to the tank add salt little at a time until i reach the required salinity? I don't want to add the sand after I put water in but I can. I am jsut trying to think this out and do it right.
Thanks

robertifly
01/28/2012, 09:38 AM
WOW, that can be answered by others with more knowledge with that sort of thing however I suspect you're live sand is likely dead live sand. Depending on several factors like temperature, did it dry out or was there any water circulation I'm not sure it is needed or not. Maybe others will chime it that know. The only time I reused sand from a tank I throughly washed it and started again with some "fresh" live sand from a donor tank.

zhewitt04
01/28/2012, 10:15 AM
That's what I am thinking. Thanks

Sport507
01/28/2012, 10:28 AM
I am finally settin my 150 back up after putting it in the wall. I have live sand sitting in buckets for about a month. I was curious if it was still live? If so do I need to mix my salt water up before adding the sand or can i just hook my RO DI unit straight up to the tank add salt little at a time until i reach the required salinity? I don't want to add the sand after I put water in but I can. I am jsut trying to think this out and do it right.
Thanks

I would just fill it with RODI fire up the system and power head every then, as you said just start adding salt a little at a time until you reach the required SG. Just make sure the water temp it where you want it when reaching the desired salinity.

JMO

zhewitt04
01/28/2012, 10:32 AM
I would just fill it with RODI fire up the system and power head every then, as you said just start adding salt a little at a time until you reach the required SG. Just make sure the water temp it where you want it when reaching the desired salinity.

JMO

Thank You. Are you saying do all that with sand in the system.

[17]shawn[17]
01/28/2012, 11:18 AM
id fill up the tank, add the salt and let it mix well, heat it then kill the pumps and add the sand, let everything settle for a couple hours before starting the pumps