PDA

View Full Version : Get SH to eat frozen mysis vs live

cindyoc
01/28/2012, 12:03 PM
I have had two sick seahorses, which one died from visible tail rot. The other one was sick, but no signs of visible tail rot. She is in a hospital tank. Temp 68 and being treated with Furan 2. She was tank raised and always an aggressive eater of frozen mysis. When she got sick, she stopped eating. She would show interest, but refused. After 3 days of not eating anything, I introduced the live mysis in the tank. She went after it and ate them all. About 20 of them. I've been trying to get her to eat frozen brine and mysis, but she refuses. She'll only eat the live. Now, I'm not sure how to get her back on the frozen. I want to keep her eating because she's not out of the woods yet. Any suggestions?

rayjay
01/28/2012, 05:31 PM
Put some frozen mysis in with the live mysids and gradually start to increase the ratio of frozen once you see the seahorse picking at the occasional frozen piece until you are adding frozen only.

cindyoc
01/28/2012, 07:27 PM
She did eat some frozen today. Phewww. She really seems to be on the mend now.

Peka
01/29/2012, 01:15 PM
Furan-2 can impact appetite. At this point, offer her anything (live or frozen) to make sure she eats. Eating is the first priority. Also, make sure to do entire course of furan-2 even is she seems better. It's important to do the entire course of it.

cindyoc
01/29/2012, 07:05 PM
Update.....SH is eating the frozen again. Her appetite is back and she is doing better. She's stronger and more alert. She's been dosing for 7 days. Three more days, then we will put her back in the main tank. I'm so glad we were able to save her.