PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for success with stock equipment?

krkosiba
01/28/2012, 02:47 PM
Hello all, I am relatively new to reefing. I bought a JBJ LED advanced a year ago. I pose this question because it makes me wonder. Is it possible for success with stock equipment?

We all fancy all the latest technological advances that come with this hobby. It is what makes it so fun. Trying new things, always searching for better and the best. However, is it really needed? Can you buy a cube fresh from the LFS with a stock media basket and have a system that thrives?

I suppose with good practice and husbandry it could be. However, am I wrong?

pco1988
01/28/2012, 02:51 PM
I have seen a few with completely stock equipment and go great! The amount of work that they do and I have watched is a lot.

krkosiba
01/28/2012, 02:59 PM
I am sure the work load is almost silly. I sit looking at a tank with just sand and live rock in it. A 4 day power outage smoked my tank. :( Frustrated I sold all of my equipment that I had. Now that I am done being mad I want to get the ball rolling again. I guess that is why I asked the question.

pco1988
01/28/2012, 03:14 PM
Well you can look at what I did, I spent a lot of money and created my own nano tank set up. I went out and bought all of the raw materials and made myself the ultimate nano cube.

But I did spend crazy money on my tank... Check it out! Tell me what you think!

ziyaadb
01/28/2012, 03:18 PM
yes u can have success as long as you care for your system properly, regular waterchanges is all thats needed

cody6766
01/28/2012, 03:39 PM
My BioCube is pretty much stock and it's successful. I have a new return pump since the original died and I added an extra powerhead and a heater. Aside from that it's completely stock. I keep it lightly stocked and the coral simple and it stays healthy. The only thing I plan on adding to it is an ATO. It does fine with manual top offs, but it's a pain in my as....leg. I would like to put it on a controller too, but I don't know if it's worth the $100 for such a simple set up.

My Solana is slightly modified. It came with a Tunze skimmer and I will be adding an ATO and a controller. I will also add new powerheads for flow. The stock pump was not in it when I bought it, so it was replaced by a MJ1200. I'm also considering swapping the disco ball light for a SE 250w Radium. Obviously this is a slightly different approach than the BC listed above.

ange062
01/28/2012, 06:03 PM
I think just about anything is possible, and have seen some amazing low tech tanks.

But IMO its not the easiest approach! A lot of the addons help with automation or help to keep livestock happier.

Plus I am a bit of a gear junky, buying the dry goods is half the fun for me... :)