PDA

View Full Version : Tunze controler 7096 update??

dirk_brijs
01/29/2012, 03:20 AM
I did install the update from the Tunze website but this did my device fall out completely??
It kept stating "NO DEVICE FOUND"
I went on some research and found the following post here on ReefCentral:
"Hi guys,
I had this same problem with mine over here in Oz,
All you need to do is load the avrootloader program, found in c:/tunze/multicontroller 7096.
Then choose connect to device. Once connected chose the drop down box beside flash and choose tunze 7096.acy
Then down the bottom left hit program.
You should get a flash succesful message
Start up your 7096 program from the desktop shortcut, you will see a black box appear and then all done fixed.

Aaron "
out of this thread : http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2057984

This made my pums switch back on with a previous setting I saved in my computer. As I wanted to change the settings it states no "NO COM FOUND"??
as I tried to go back into this "avrootloader" this program now says NO DEVICE FOUND when trying to connect to the device?
What is going on as yes my pumps are working now but I can seem to change anymore settings as my controler program does not work or recognizes as COM??
please advise

dirk_brijs
01/29/2012, 10:07 AM
the issue obviously is that the drivers downloaded with the upgrade interfere with the drivers of the device and make the device incompatible with Window 7
Again Tunze should investigate this error and bring out a fix for this and so long issue a note next to the upgrade offered on their website so Windows 7 users do not face the same issues anymore.

rvitko
01/30/2012, 09:58 AM
It is completely compatible with Windows 7, I can only think of two possibilities.

There are too many devices connected so the COM port assigned is higher than the program will look for, the 7096 should be on COM 1,2 or 3.

The unit was disconnected before the firmware update was complete and has no functioning firmware, this is unlikely since it will still run your pumps.

dirk_brijs
01/30/2012, 10:20 AM
it obviously isnt.
I had to download the drivers myself to make it compatible with Windows 7
As you can read in many other posts from people with the same problems the device was not disconnected or unplugged before the download was finalized as the device shut itself down completely before anything could be done to it.
It could only be restarted to enter into the avrootloader program and fix it.

dirk_brijs
01/30/2012, 10:24 AM
dont really understand too why Tunze keeps ignoring the problem and keeps stating that the customer must have done something wrong with it?
The internet is full with people encountering the same issues.
Just google Tunze device not found and all reefers forums around the world(SA, Aus, ASU, Europe) are full of it.......
Maybe Tunze should have a look at it?
luckily in most of those forums some computer techies run around and deal with the issue as stated instead of blaming the user of the device and provide fixes form the internet.

Craig Borowski
02/01/2012, 10:50 AM
Sorry you are having this problem, Dirk. There are a few things we need to try, so please bear with us and we'll do our best to get it working for you.

First we need to try running the program in Compatibility Mode. Right click on the program and select Properties. From there select the Compatibility tab and choose to run the program under the XP SP2 mode. If that doesn't fix it then please proceed below to change COM settings.

First open up the Control Panel and from there select the System and Security category. Towards the bottom of the list that appears you should see Device Manager. Click on Device Manager and a new window will open up. Look down the list for the Ports (COM&LPT) option and click the + sign to expand the list. If there is a Generic Device listed, right click on that and select Properties. (If there is not a Generic Device listed, then expand the Universal Serial Bus further down the list and see if you can find it there. If you do, right click and select Properties.)

Now choose the Port Settings tab and from there click Advanced. At the top of the new window you will be able to select a new Com Port Number. Assign it either 1, 2 or 3. Then click OK to exit that window. (Windows 7 should automatically register the change, but you may need to hit Refresh Devices or Scan for New Hardware from the Action menu above.)

Then try running the program again. If it still does not find the device, try restarting the computer and trying again. Let me know how this goes and we will take it from there.

sbeason
02/01/2012, 04:36 PM
Going to throw this out there.....I get the same problem when I try hook up the usb from 20 feet away(usb cord supplied with 7096). If I pull the unit closer to my desktop(within 3 or 4 feet) I dont have the same issue. I know it may seem a bit rediculous, but its the same issue I have had and it goes away when I bring the unit closer to my pc.

Thanks, Steve

shawnz28
02/01/2012, 09:04 PM
When you bring it closer you are using a shorter cable correct?

Fish Dad
04/17/2012, 11:12 PM
Just got my 7096 this afternoon couldn't wait to get it installed but oh wait it doesn't work software com issue (STILL AFTER YEARS:headwally:) - its 1:00 am and the stupid thing wont connect and all I find is half solutions on the web.
So far reef Central is my only hope as the TUNZE web site doesn't say anything?? whats up with that?.

WHAT VERSION SOFTWARE IS THE LATEST? I HAVE 1.1.06 ON THE CD

The Tunze Web site doesn't say what version I'm downloading. Seem to be an issue downloading new software to the unit and there is no version on the download or the zip file?

Do I go and BUY another cable to start?? :furious:

rvitko
04/18/2012, 07:58 AM
The most important info to solving your issue is the operating system you are using. Please let me know and I can walk you through it. The software has been updated twice and another update is coming, you do have the most current software however and I suspect the issue comes down to configuring your operating system. It will only be plug and play on a Mac in most cases, in Windows XP or Vista you may need to configure ports so the 7096 is on COM 1,2 or 3. It would be plug and play on these OS's if few peripherals are attached. If you are using Windows 7, for now you will need to use compatability mode for XP, an update in the very near future will solve that. I can walk you through it step by step if you let me know the operating system.

Fish Dad
04/18/2012, 08:44 PM
I have several laptops - Preferred laptop is running Windows 7 enterprise - version 6.1 Build 7601: service pack 1

Also have second Laptop running Vista Home Premium service pack 1
Loaded software from CD on that second laptop - Vista - still get Error says no unit found!
Window looks for a driver on this vista laptop but cant seem to find it? looked under C: tunze

Have changed Properties on both PCs Tunze Icon - run in compatibility mode Windows XP and run as administrator - same error?

Both laptop have been stripped of other devises nothing but power plugged in

Unit is getting power as moon light is on and panel is lit

I also went out and bought a shorter USB cable... 6' tried both with shorter cable

Plan is to hook up two 6100.10 pumps - once I have these running I will end up upgrading to newer units.....

Feel free to PM me on this and I will post final solution on this post

rvitko
04/19/2012, 07:59 AM
Here is the walk through for Windows 7-

To run Compatibility Mode in Windows 7 first right click on the Tunze program icon and select Properties. From there select the Compatibility tab and choose to run the program under one of the Vista modes. If that doesn't fix it, try using the XP SP2 Compatibility Mode. If neither of these work then proceed below to change COM settings.

First open up the Control Panel and from there select the System and Security category. Towards the bottom of the list that appears you should see Device Manager. Click on Device Manager and a new window will open up. Look down the list for the Ports (COM&LPT) option and click the + sign to expand the list. If there is a Generic Device listed, right click on that and select Properties. (If there is not a Generic Device listed, then expand the Universal Serial Bus further down the list and see if you can find it there. If you do, right click and select Properties.)

Now choose the Port Settings tab and from there click Advanced. At the top of the new window you will be able to select a new Com Port Number. Assign it either 1, 2 or 3. Then click OK to exit that window. (Windows 7 should automatically register the change, but you may need to hit Refresh Devices or Scan for New Hardware from the Action menu above.)

Then try running the program again. If it still does not find the device, try restarting the computer and trying again.

Finally, if we still aren't having any luck, try updating the 7096 firmware. First uninstall the existing version of the 7096 software and then go to this page and download the software. When you run the program, you need to have the 7096 connected. This will update the firmware on the 7096. Please be patient and wait for this process to finish... otherwise the unit can be damaged. After this has completed, try running the newly installed software.

For Vista, the COM port settings in the second paragraph are the issue. You will also want to make sure flow control is set to Xon/Xoff, everything else remains as default. The driver is a standard Microsoft Generic USB to Serial driver. Windows should come equipped with this driver or be able to find it on Microsofts home site if needed. Keep in mind built in peripherals like cameras, modems and microphones are also assigned Com ports so this can result in a COM higher than 3 being assigned to an external port, you just have to manually reassign the COM ports.

Fish Dad
04/19/2012, 11:26 PM
I got it to connect on Vista after changing Port settings. Not to bad QUICK and EASY
Window 7 has got to be my laptop and that fact that MS make every new version more impossible to work with if devise is not 100% plug and play...
Your direction sounded easy but they didn't seem to fit my situation for Windows 7.

Struggled but got to work on Windows 7 though = Unit didn't show up under Ports or Generic or USB. Was listed as FT232R USB under "Other". To identify I unplugged and plugged in USB.... list refreshes so easy to find.

Would not allow any configuration of the port under Devise Manager? Didn't have that device driver?

Assigned permission under Windows Fire Wall to give Tunze SW permissions not sure if that did anything to fix this, but I did it anyway to allow administrator access to open.

Under Control Panel, Hardware and Sound - Devises and printers- shows up as "Unspecified" FT232R USB UART- went in as administrator and had to change driver type from unknown FT232R USB to USB Serial Converter - it loaded the new driver and THEN allowed me to make changes to COM PORT. Gave warning that it might not load driver?
but it worked.
Comport can now be set under Devises and Printers and is now under Ports in Device Manager. The unit would only work in Com 1? but got update successful.

Tomorrow can start playing around with actual setting, as fish are all sleeping...lights out.

Craig Borowski
04/20/2012, 08:22 AM
Thank you for following up Fish Dad.

The switch from FT232R USB to USB Serial Converter is something Windows 7 should have done automatically when installing the hardware drivers that came with your PC or motherboard. Of course things don't always go the way they should! But glad you got it working and thanks again for following up.

rvitko
04/20/2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks and sorry for the hassles, Craig is actually much more knowledgable about Windows, I have never used Windows 7 myself. If you have further issues, he is the best one to help.

whipitup
05/09/2012, 08:52 AM
I've been reading this with interest as I have a similar problem with my 6095.

Symptoms are: On initially loading the software (with Bluetooth and wireless BB turned off) it works fine. Trying to run the software at a later time just had the program looking for a com port and it eventually locks up.

On my Windows 7 machine I've seemed to have solved the problem by turning off the wireless BB before I run the Tunze program............however, if I ever forget to turn off the wireless BB and try to run the program it will fail, and also fail repeatedly if I then try to run it again having remembered to turn off the wireless BB.

If that happens the only way to fix it (seemingly) is to re-install the program.

This may not work fro everyone, but if it works for some then good.

I have passed this on to Tunze UK, and they are going to inform Tunze HQ.

Tunze REALLY need to fix this properly though!

rvitko
05/09/2012, 10:09 AM
I know an update is coming very soon, for both PC and Mac. Craig is working on somethings as well, he found some third party solutions to setting the ports but we want to make sure it is right before we discuss it more.

whipitup
05/09/2012, 05:22 PM
I know an update is coming very soon, for both PC and Mac. Craig is working on somethings as well, he found some third party solutions to setting the ports but we want to make sure it is right before we discuss it more.

Please keep us updated Roger.

whipitup
05/09/2012, 05:48 PM
Putting it bluntly, I'm trying to extol the virtues of Tunze pumps, quietness and reliability etc, on the forum I mostly frequent (as opposed to Vortech pumps) and using this controller best allows the pumps to behave nearly the same way as the Vortech offering.

The controller behaving the way it does however does not help the "cause", and Tunze do not offer a similar alternative controller.

While on the "subject" can you explain why the controller will not allow the pump to run at say........10% of full power?

James77
05/09/2012, 07:18 PM
The pumps cannot go below 30%....

The power should not dip below 30%, at these low speeds two things happen, the prop assembly becomes like a gyroscope that is slowing and unstable and it wobbles and makes noise. Also, the pumping rate is too low to sufficiently cool the motor and can cause an overheat.

Third party controllers do offer some more flexibility in some regards to flow, but I also find the 7096 the better. Hopefully Tunze further upgrades this controller and gives full random control. Profilux can control Tunzes very well, truly in random, but it would be awfully expensive to get just for Tunze control, though it is a great controller.

rvitko
05/10/2012, 07:51 AM
There are actually a few reasons we don't want speeds between 1-29%

1) The pump may jam and overheat, there is not enough momentum to overcome resistance and keep it spinning especially at the very low end of that speed.

2) This speed range can damage the motor from overheating, there is not enough flow to keep it cool.

3) The rotation is unstable, though this is less of issue with the newer pumps with a shaft since the drive unit is held upright by the shaft and cannot wobble at low speed to the same extent.

From what we have seen these controller issues seem to largely be related to custom installs of Windows. For example if you build your own PC and omit certain drivers or the board came with its own drivers, the same applies to name brand PC's that have a custom interface, it is generally due to a driver being missing or changed to suit some proprietary hardware. We don't see this with full installs of a store bought Windows OS and I have never encountered any issue with Mac versions. We will keep working on it and update is imminent.

whipitup
05/11/2012, 03:47 AM
There are actually a few reasons we don't want speeds between 1-29%

1) The pump may jam and overheat, there is not enough momentum to overcome resistance and keep it spinning especially at the very low end of that speed.

2) This speed range can damage the motor from overheating, there is not enough flow to keep it cool.

3) The rotation is unstable, though this is less of issue with the newer pumps with a shaft since the drive unit is held upright by the shaft and cannot wobble at low speed to the same extent.

From what we have seen these controller issues seem to largely be related to custom installs of Windows. For example if you build your own PC and omit certain drivers or the board came with its own drivers, the same applies to name brand PC's that have a custom interface, it is generally due to a driver being missing or changed to suit some proprietary hardware. We don't see this with full installs of a store bought Windows OS and I have never encountered any issue with Mac versions. We will keep working on it and update is imminent.

Thanks for the explanation Roger.

titusoates
06/17/2012, 12:04 PM
MY 7096 works with the original disk that came with the controller, it's the updates that wont work for me, i will keep using v1 lol

Kevin

rvitko
06/18/2012, 08:23 AM
Most likely you need a driver, in later updates the driver was omitted as it is a standard Microsoft driver. However we have since found that many home made and even some brand name computers omit this driver and use a driver from the motherboard manufacturer. I will ask Craig to reply in more detail, he knows where to get the driver on the Microsoft web page.

Craig Borowski
06/18/2012, 08:49 AM
MY 7096 works with the original disk that came with the controller, it's the updates that wont work for me, i will keep using v1 lol

Kevin, What version of Windows are you using? Also, when you go in to the Device Manager (Control Panel > System >Device Manager tab) do you see any lines highlighted with an exclamation point or question mark?

titusoates
06/18/2012, 09:11 AM
Kevin, What version of Windows are you using? Also, when you go in to the Device Manager (Control Panel > System >Device Manager tab) do you see any lines highlighted with an exclamation point or question mark?

Windows 7 an no exclamation marks

Kevin

Craig Borowski
06/18/2012, 11:39 AM
Ok, let's try uninstalling the Tunze software and then reinstall under Compatibility Mode for Vista. Let me know how that goes and we'll take it from there.

Macca_75
06/18/2012, 04:08 PM
On Windows 7 I found I had to install the correct USB drivers as it came up "device not installed".

Once I add the correct drivers every works OK, although sometimes you need to close and open the program twice to get it to recognise the controller.

Try starting from here if you want to try the drivers.

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

kaziko
09/09/2013, 03:45 PM
It seems to be common problem, I bought 7096 today and experienced the same issue.
I use win7 and had to install FT232 USB UART driver, after that to install USB Serial converter and finally had to configure COM1 port as described earlier in this topic. And finally it started to work.
Works pretty fine but after an hour of playing with controller I realized there is one thing missing in feature set : a timer. I mean it would be great to get possibility to prepare specific programs or pumps config sets and controller could run them at specific hours. Night mode is something like that but it is not driven by timer but by optic light sensor.

rvitko
09/09/2013, 04:01 PM
The timer is not possible due to limited memory on the unit, but it may be possible in a future version with either more memory or where a new program is pushed to it by bluetooth.

Peter_GG
03/23/2015, 03:25 PM
Hi Roger.
I just got my 7096 from a fellow reefer... and as Tunze website was down yesterday, I fought it with the CD-software... I had an issue while installing, it complained about some temp files not present while creating a desktop shortcut... however starting from tunze folder and startin in compatibility mode it worked...

Today I upgraded to newest software... all is good until I hit receive from unit it just states unexpected error...

I tried to run avrootloader and flash the device... however in the newest version, the button program is dimmed grey... my fellow reefer have flashed it before with a newer than cd software.. don't know if that is why program is dimmed??

I've since gone back to the old software... and it is still good.. however I'd to get the new one running...

do you have any ideas?

I run vista..

rvitko
03/24/2015, 12:12 PM
Hmm, did you get a message on the bottom of the 7096 programming screen that said "No Device Found"? This would point to just needing to change port settings.