PDA

View Full Version : "Very" Unusual Pink Encrusting SPS

acro-ed
01/29/2012, 06:00 PM
Hi guys and gals,
I recently acquired a very unusual SPS. I am attaching pics below. The polyps are very fleshy compared to a typical Acropora, and larger than any typical acro or monti. The skeletal structure is very dense and the tissue is "smooth" like an acropora. It does not have "textured" tissue like a Cyphastrea or Alveopora. It also does not have raised/rounded nodules where a corallite would form from the polyp structure (like most Acropora).

The backstory: This came from a dedicated hobbyist who decided to break down her tanks. She had been in the hobby for many years, and was on most of Tyree's waiting lists, as well as having received coral form other eminent collectors. She was quite sure that this piece is the Tyree Acropora Microclados (which she did receive in 2004). I cannot imagine that in 8 years that it never grew a single branch. This piece has only ever encrusted in a mounding boulder type shape. Granted, it did start from a tiny piece, and has endured several tank issues, but I am just not convinced it is an Acropora. She is also confident that it was a piece received in that time frame; circa 2004.

I can say that I have never seen another piece like it. I have been in the hobby for 15+ years now and I have not seen a pink encrusting SPS with smooth tissue and fleshy polyps. It is very strange...certainly not the most vibrantly colored piece, but legitimately rare given that I've never seen one like it. It is rather interesting, and it is a very pleasing/unique shade of pink (which the cell phone camera did not capture very well).

Here are some pics. I will try to get some higher res pics with my Canon tomorrow.

Please let me know what you think.....I am stumped!

-Ed

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/efwilson3/IMAG0564.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/efwilson3/IMAG0566.jpg

acro-ed
01/30/2012, 07:52 PM
Anyone?

klepto
01/30/2012, 11:12 PM
Hey Ed,
I think your coral is some species of Turbinaria. It is definitley not an Acropora.
The closest that I could get is;
Turbinaria irregularis
http://coral.aims.gov.au/coral-images/preview/0415_C1_05.jpg
http://coral.aims.gov.au/speciesPages/species_metadata/0415/view#

T. stellulata
http://coral.aims.gov.au/coral-images/wide-preview/0619_C1_06.jpg
http://coral.aims.gov.au/speciesPages/species_metadata/0619/view#

There are a few others in the genus that are possibilities too. (T. radicalis and T. peltata - although I would expect a more tiered morphology by now from T. peltata)

seapug
01/30/2012, 11:31 PM
Looks like a cyphastrea to me but could be turbinaria.

acro-ed
01/31/2012, 07:17 AM
It is definitely not a Cyphastrea. After spending some time looking at Turbinaria and comparing skeleton pics, I am quite confident that klepto is right, it is a Turbinaria stellulata. It is an interesting piece, and I am thankful to have it. This is one of those that is going to keep people guessing when they look at my tank (like my orange and green Madracis senaria).

Thank you very much klepto!

Now I'm wondering what kind of importation this species saw, seeing as its the only one I've seen... It must have been an oddball that came in years ago.

Thanks again for the help.

-Ed

dvanacker
01/31/2012, 10:28 AM
retracted gonipora....????? Most likely IMO.

Matty8251
01/31/2012, 08:07 PM
could be a Pink Sandollar. polyp color is off. look at reef farmer

acro-ed
01/31/2012, 09:10 PM
Confirmed today that klepto is correct.

It is in fact the Tyree LE T. stellulata. It only ever went out to 10 people; don't know what happened to Tyree's piece. The person I received it from purchased it in 2005 directly from Reeffarmers.

Thanks again for the help! I'm really excited out this piece, and it's always nice to know the species when discussing with other hobbyists. I'm definitely more of a fan of the "oddball" type SPS; this one makes a really nice addition to my tank.

-Ed

seapug
01/31/2012, 09:44 PM
Very cool. Nice to one of those Tyree corals that's not a fingernail sized frag.

acro-ed
01/31/2012, 10:32 PM
Very cool. Nice to one of those Tyree corals that's not a fingernail sized frag.

Lol. I'm sure it was a fingernail frag 7 years ago. There are plenty of mature Tyree pieces out there, and I'm sure there are plenty more that haven't "made it" long term. He has "found" a lot of nice stuff over the years, and despite some resentment with the marketing of "rare" or "Limited Edition" corals, Reeffarmers has helped promote the husbandry of many very nice pieces.

This specimen has a little more polyp extension over the last couple days, and I'm confident the pink/purple coloration will only get nicer. I will post back in a couple days when I get some time to break out the fancy camera.

Thanks again guys!
-Ed

klepto
02/01/2012, 08:50 PM
It is in fact the Tyree LE T. stellulata. It only ever went out to 10 people; don't know what happened to Tyree's piece. The person I received it from purchased it in 2005 directly from Reeffarmers.

Thanks again for the help!
-Ed

Very cool! and you are welcome!

OneReef
02/01/2012, 10:27 PM
retracted gonipora....????? Most likely IMO.

That's what I was thinking

acro-ed
02/02/2012, 07:15 AM
That's what I was thinking

I know it's hard to tell from the crappy cell phone pics, but the skeletal structure is much denser and smoother than a Goniopora. The corallite structure is also much smaller than a Goniopora (also hard to tell from the pic). The polyps are a little bit larger than those found on a large polyp Montipora (i.e. M. venosa), but much smaller than an Alveopora/Goniopora.

-Ed

rtbm
02/02/2012, 06:09 PM
Looks like a Pagoda to me.

Just curious.

How were you able to confirm it was the tyree?

acro-ed
02/02/2012, 09:38 PM
Looks like a Pagoda to me.

Just curious.

How were you able to confirm it was the tyree?

Exactly, the Pagoda coral is a Turbinaria Peltata, and this is it's smaller polyped encrusting cousin the Turbinaria Stellulata. This particular specimen just happens to be a really neat shade of pink (purple with the actinics).

The person I got it from was a direct recipient of many of the Tyree pieces for a several year period (I have other Tyree pieces from her as well). She consulted her records when I was over and was adamant it was one of the Tyree ones, she just couldn't remember which one, and had originally told me she thought it was the LE A. Microclados. Reeffarmers shows that she received the LE T. Stellulata piece in January 2005 (and incidentally, the LE A. Microclados in Oct. 2004) . Since she had no other corals of this type from elsewhere and the fact that the genus and species match up, along with the coloration and growth form, coupled with the fact that she knew the time period she received it (within a 6 month or so period) and the fact that Reeffarmers confirms her receipt of this coral, I am wholly sure it is that exact specimen. Not to say that other T. Stellulata weren't imported at some point, it's just kind of an oddball coral, and it's exceedingly unlikely to find one at a wholesaler (again, the reason I posted this was because I haven't seen another one like it in 15 years of doing this).

Hope that helps clarify; I wouldn't want people thinking I would throw out a "named" edition of something to help my cause.

I have lots of "named" corals, most of which I no longer disclose to people that want frags from me because I think the whole thing is utter BS. I am eager to peg this one, however, because it is such an uncommon piece that it would be beneficial for others who received it to know it is still growing in captivity 7 years later. There may very well be a reason Tyree retired it after only 10 recipients. I know one of the other nine people who received it, though I didn't know he also had it, and I never saw it in person (probably because it was "fingernail" size); a mutual friend confirmed when I showed him this thread. This guy had a major crash and got out of the hobby several years ago, so I think it is important to "preserve" the lineage to corals like that. Of course a diver with more money than brains could go find 10 more pink ones in the wild and hope one survives the journey to the hobbyist market, so in the grand scheme of things it's still just marketing. This species is "uncommon" even in the wild though, unlike many of our coveted SPS which are a dime a dozen in the wild.

Just wanted to offer an explanation for "playing into the hype" because I personally have a strong distaste for most of it. In the end I am far more appreciative to know the genus and species than I am to know the retailer who marketed it.

-Ed

Softhammer
02/09/2012, 04:24 PM
Amen!