PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on my live rock choices

Lukkyseven
01/29/2012, 07:25 PM
So I'm setting up a new tank and I'm debating on what type of LR to use.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+2765&pcatid=2765&siteid=24&
Is my first choice, but it appears that it's longer and more narrow. This is fine with me because I want that cave system look in my tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marco-Rocks-Key-Largo-dry-rock-Live-rock-New-Lower-Price-129-50Lb-box-/140654429001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bfa84349#ht_7255wt_1163
Not LR, but seems like a good way to go. I'm just not sure about dry rock yet. Could I get enough of this and then just get some live sand/coral and start cycling the tank?

Or can I just get a few pieces of LR to put in with that?

Lastly, send me your opinions! I'm open to options. I have a few weeks before I buy. I'm ordering my RO/DI set up first and then comes the rock.

I wish I could find some local to the Maryland area, but the only store near me charges $9lb and I personally dont like them. I'm willing to drive to WV, NJ, PA, DE or VA if the deals are worth it.

I've been looking through the forums and there appears to be many ways to do this. This will be my first tank and I just want the simplest/safest way. Time is not an issue.

Reef264
01/29/2012, 08:01 PM
If I may, I would like to present another option.

Bulk Reef Supply Pukani Dry Rock, it is just Great!Lightweight, so you get more for your money!Makes for Seemeless Aquascapes!

Reef264
01/29/2012, 08:02 PM
Double Post.

Amdeus
01/29/2012, 08:20 PM
Isn't pukani same as Marco?

leicalux
01/29/2012, 08:21 PM
It's cheaper to go with dry rocks, pukani, macro, reefcleaner all has good dry rocks. Get a few live rocks to seed or just add pure ammonia to get the cycle started.

Lukkyseven
01/29/2012, 09:07 PM
Good call on the lighter rock. I appreciate saving money anywhere I can. Should I purchase the live rock from my LFS? Or is there no real benefit of getting it local? By this I mean anything dying off or not making it through the shipping process.

One other quick question. Do I want the inverts that sometimes come with the live rock? Or is it best to screen them and remove them?

Millticket
01/29/2012, 09:14 PM
I went with Marco rocks from premium aquatics. Very good looking rock which is pest free :) and a bit cheaper than live rock. I used live rock rubble in my refugium to help seed the tank.

Although I would of enjoyed seeing what critters i would of gotten had i of gone with all live rock, I like it that i don't have any nasty hitch hikers in my tank.

Amdeus
01/29/2012, 10:00 PM
I just bought 100 lbs of Marco rock from marcorocks.com. Can't beat $210 shipped plus it had about 5lbs rubble and rest are nice size rocks that lock together nicely.

OregonReefer
01/30/2012, 12:43 AM
I love my Pukani and it only took about 70lbs to fill a 120

divewsharks
01/30/2012, 02:41 AM
BRS also has Tonga branch which is also pretty lightweight and easy to build some unique scapes with without taking too much room up in the tank.

jerpa
01/30/2012, 07:47 AM
I love my Pukani and it only took about 70lbs to fill a 120

+1
I bought 30lbs of pukani and 40lbs of reef saver. The box of pukani was double the size of the reef saver and looks great. Its so porous it basically has built in caves.

Lukkyseven
01/30/2012, 11:06 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but lets say I get all dry rock and just add some live sand or rubble to the refugium. Will the rock just get the purple coraline color to it? Or is there any chance to get different types of algae take hold?

Of course I'll be adding my own corals, but I enjoy the different colors of stuff that comes on live rock.

Sorry if these questions don't make sense. I'm doing my research and buying my books. There's just so much information/misinformation out there that I'm a little confused.

Thanks
Lucky

1DeR9_3Hy
01/30/2012, 12:42 PM
Nope, your on the right track. A little bit of live rock and a lot of dry rock = a lot of live rock given a few months.

And dont worry about coraline, if your adding corals to this im almost certain you will get a few pieces with coraline all over it.

Lukkyseven
01/30/2012, 02:09 PM
@ 1DeR - Does this mean that the different types of organisms in the live rock would spread to the dry rock? What I'm hoping doesn't happen is the dry rock just turns into coraline coated rock. I will be putting coral on the rock eventually, but in the mean time I'd like to see some different types of things sprout up on the dry rock. If this isn't the case then I'll most likely just buy live rock.

m12x13adass
01/30/2012, 02:29 PM
Yes. The Organisms from the live rock will eventually make it's way on to the dry rocks.

Curious George
01/30/2012, 02:41 PM
I use fake live rock--Tonga branch. Very nice looking and can be drilled, stacked, cleaned and will never break a tank's bottom. I just can't justify the price of live rock anymore. I don't see a need.