PDA

View Full Version : How do I add a frag tank?

wyssj
01/30/2012, 12:28 PM
I am still fairly new to sw but am already obsessed So, I want to add a frag tank to my DT and since I have a biocube 29g it will be more water for my overall system. Currently I am running the BC with stock lighting and mods to the back 3 compartments. Chamber 1 has active charcoal media bag and the stock filter has been torn off and replaced weekly with sponge filter cut to size. Chamber 2 has been converted into a fuge, I have a small LED over the top and chaeto in there with chemipure on the bottom. Chamber 3 has the stock return pump and the heater.

I would like to add a 10 or 20 gallon frag tank...prob just a 10 would be sufficient for now. I don't have a ton of extra room and will be moving around a lot in the next few years so I think a 10g will do exactly what I want. I found the tank at the following link and it is kinda what I would like to do. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofi...p/t253536.html
The only real difference is that I want to tie it into my DT, but that is where I run into some problems. I DO NOT want to have to drill my tank. I don't have the capability to do it myself and would rather not risk it breaking.

This is what I was thinking, but I don't think it will actually work so I am kinda lost

1. I can't use two pumps cause that'll probably end up in a mess. So how to get them tied together? I was thinking of just using the stock pump to move the water around.

2. I would run pvc tubing from chamber 3 in my DT into the 10g to supply water. This would just work using gravity. BUT, currently the tanks would be at the same level with just the tops being at different heights...I think the gravity feed would still work.

3. The stock pump would be relocated to the frag tank on the opposite end as where it fills from. This would pump water from the frag tank back over to the powerhead of the DT and right into the tank.

4. The tubing in the 3rd chamber would be at a level towards the top so that if the pump were to stop working it wouldn't be long until the DT would low enough in water so that the gravity feed would be in the air and it wouldn't drain my DT and cause a flood.

5. I would also have a standard HOB filter in the frag tank for the added cleaning of that tank.

6. This setup would allow for the water to still run through my fuge in the DT

My main concern is how to get the right size of tubing to drain the right amount from my DT into the frag so that the water level in the frag tank doesn't get too low.

Well thats what I was thinking so far. Feel free to add any comments on my design. Like I said, I have no idea if this will work. It's all theoretical.

Thanks!!

1DeR9_3Hy
01/30/2012, 12:33 PM
I cant help too much on the specifics of drilling/working on a BC, but look into those people who have added sumps. It would be pretty much the same thing you want to do, but instead of sump you would be adding a frag tank.