Here are my current water parameters:

Temp: 78
SG: 1.024
PH: 8 (was at 8.4 2 days ago)
Alk: 8 (was at 9 2 days ago)
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: .25 (cannot get this to drop for anything)
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1340

I believe this is being caused by my top off water having a very low PH and Alk. However with me being new to the hobby I am not sure. Could this be causing it? Or is there something else I am missing?

disc1
01/30/2012, 12:36 PM
Your top-off water should have zero alkalinity and the pH of your top off water is irrelevant to the pH of the tank. The top off water should be pure water and thus has absolutely no buffering capacity and will have absolutely zero effect on your tank pH.

Alkalinity drops as the calcifying organisms in your tank use it up. pH drops are usually caused by high CO2 concentrations.

agruetz
01/30/2012, 01:43 PM
Ok I will continue to monitor the levels, and use the pure water I have been using. Is there something I should consider dosing that will raise PH and Alk separately that does not also raise calcium and magnesium ? I just did a water change to raise PH by .2 and alk by 1. (was time for the weekly change anyway). However I know stable is always better. Thanks for the information btw.

disc1
01/30/2012, 01:47 PM
You can use baking soda to dose alkalinity. If your pH is at 8 then there's no need to worry with that.

One of the worst things you can get into is dosing something over pH. The best way to control low pH is fresh air. There is too much CO2 in the water. This is usually caused by being in a sealed up house with all those humans and other animals. Simply opening a window near the tank has helped a lot of people. Some others will run the skimmer intake outside. Still others with really big problems will run a CO2 scrubber on their skimmer's air intake.

But at a pH of 8, there is no need to really concern yourself.

agruetz
01/30/2012, 01:58 PM
Alright. I knew it was with in range I just want to do my best to maintain stability. Now that I know the causes, I will monitor and use this advice to help maintain stability.

karsseboom
01/30/2012, 03:51 PM
Start using kalk with your top off water. Do you have an auto top off?

agruetz
01/30/2012, 06:13 PM
I think that might be to much for my small 10 gallon system. I do not have an auto top off yet.

bertoni
01/30/2012, 10:58 PM
For a 10g system, a 2-part or even a one-part likely would be fine. That's what I used with my 12g, FWIW. I wouldn't bother with kalk, personally.

agruetz
01/31/2012, 12:11 AM
I would agree I think kalk would be way over kill. I will most likely keep doing what I am doing and then try a dose of baking soda if it just needs Alk and continue to monitor I am still trying to get a feel for what this little system will need on a regular basis.