View Full Version : Starfish Parasite?

01/30/2012, 06:14 PM
I bought a new piece of xoanthid earlier. While I was acclimating it everything seemed fine, but when I put it into my main tank four or five... what I can only describe as tiny, very thin, white starfish flew off from underneath the polyp heads and disappeared into my tank. I have never seen anything like it before. (It was very clear to me that they were starfish... I counted five tiny legs and a center mass just like a normal sized star).

As things of this nature are generally not good, I wonder if I have inadvertently introduced some sort of parasite into my tank? What on earth could it be?

01/30/2012, 06:19 PM
A picture would be helpful if possible. Sounds like asterina stars to me. They are completely safe. Asterinas are usually white.

01/30/2012, 06:23 PM
+1 asterina stars

01/30/2012, 06:39 PM
All of them caught a wave and immediately hid in rocks as soon as they got on one, if they come out later I'll try to catch a picture and post it.

Thanks for thought. I Google'd asterinas and they don't look quite right... they seem too 'bulky' if that makes sense. These had very long (compared to body) and skinny legs. But maybe they look different when newborn?

Actually these guys sort of reminded me of brittle stars, it was that sort of shape. Maybe that is what they were come to think of it, but I have never seen any this tiny before. I've been Google'ing to see what they look like new born but haven't had much luck turning anything up.

01/30/2012, 06:46 PM
They may be Micro Brittle Stars. They arent bad, though.

01/30/2012, 07:28 PM
+1 asterina stars