PDA

View Full Version : new reefer here, need help with micro bubbles

chefmikea
01/30/2012, 07:16 PM
Hello im mike and ive just got in the hobbybut have had some minor exposure to it from my 4 yrs of envying myformer roomates 55 gal, so ive started with a 20 gal tall with 25 lbs of agralive bed, 20 lbs of established purple and white live rock, AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115, Marineland Ml90509 -Jet 400 PRO, Marineland Visi-Therm Deluxe Submersible Heater - 75W. a regular carriage balast that came w tank that has a Coralife T8 Colormax Aquarium Lamp 18 inch, ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED Modules (blue)and 20 gal rodi h2o.....i let that cycle ... frags of red zoa, green zoa, and redacted (sp?) mushroom, 25 critters--1 tiny emerald crab, 20 or so snails and hermits,frogspawn, banded coral shrimp and for giggles two small blue chromis, starting a diet of brine and mysis shrimp...also there hasnt been a great ammount of skim or build up yet in collection cup, some, but not much....

my main problem is micro bubbles from the skimmer are hurting clarity...is there anything i can do? ive tried to adjust the dial, and move unit up and down a bit.

am i doing this right?

chefmikea
01/30/2012, 07:18 PM
btw...when i say that... i mean do i have a good mix of things?

Playa-1
01/30/2012, 07:38 PM
I have no experience with the AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115. If you haven't already I would recommend that you look around in the nano reef area. It may have more specific info for you. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

dlterry85
01/30/2012, 07:53 PM
i just installed one in a friends 29 biocube and have no micro bubbles, but that may be due to the fact it goes thru an intank madia basket before it goes back to the tank. sorry if that is no help. lol. seems you need a bubble trap or maybe some filter floss to trap the bubbles.

Agu
01/30/2012, 08:32 PM
When you posted just into the hobby, how long has the skimmer been running ? It can take up to a couple of weeks for a skimmer to break in.

bid2ask
01/30/2012, 09:01 PM
when you posted just into the hobby, how long has the skimmer been running ? It can take up to a couple of weeks for a skimmer to break in.

+1

chefmikea
01/30/2012, 09:10 PM
ok thanks everyone, its only been running 10 days or so.....so maybe thats it...and thanks playa 1 i will redirect.