PDA

View Full Version : 36 gallon bowfront - skimmer?

gvan101
01/31/2012, 07:03 AM
I have a 36 gallon bowfront that im turning into a reef. I am planning on putting in simple lps softies etc. i currently have 2 clowns, 3 chromis and 2 firefish

I currently have a sump with just live rock. Can i get away with just using cheato and gfo carbon reactor instead of a skimmer. if not what skimmer do you recommend

dunc101
01/31/2012, 09:31 AM
You may be able to get away without a skimmer, however, most people, including myself, would highly recommend getting one.
A skimmer is not a "must," however, you may find yourself with higher than wanted nitrates.
Another option may be a ATS (algae turf scrubber) instead of a skimmer (you can build a DIY one for cheap). You can google this for plenty of other info. If you ever want to keep SPS, however, a skimmer would be a better choice.
You would want a skimmer rated for approx 2x the size of your tank. I will let others chime in on some skimmer recommendations as I have a 90 gallon system with a Reef Octopus XS, which, would probably be overkill for your size system.

gvan101
01/31/2012, 11:15 AM
thanks dunc101