PDA

View Full Version : CAD Lights CONIC Bio-Reactor

BIG_KAHUNA
01/31/2012, 07:07 AM
I'm sure someone has posted about them already but these are so freeking cool! Looks like finally every pellet gets churned!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m3ZXKWzJBEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kc350twin
01/31/2012, 08:15 AM
That thing is huge but cool. Looks like a blender. LOL

gcarroll
01/31/2012, 09:49 AM
And to think, the best part is they are made in the USA!

andrew9
01/31/2012, 10:06 AM
That isn't too much flow through them? They look sweet tho

BIG_KAHUNA
01/31/2012, 10:30 AM
i wouldn't think you could have too much flow as long as the pellets aren't passing out the return. Microbes don't care lol

jgsalwater
01/31/2012, 12:25 PM
Two problems 1) too much agitation and the pellets will wear down prematurely. 2) In any case the BioPellets slowly dissolve and get smaller. When get small enough size they will carried over and into the discharge.

sirreal63
02/01/2012, 08:51 AM
Bass-O-Matic anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y

Thomas84
02/01/2012, 04:52 PM
Very cool! the cone design makes it so much more effective than the
straight cylinders seems like. i really like this new swirling tumbling Conic Bio-reactors from CAD Lights.

The water is distributed through a full size plate which evenly flows upwards, so its not a problem of too much agitation as the water isnt shot through a "jet" or tube. Jets have way more "focused" pressure compared to the soft "even-ess" of a distribution plate. think about an old fashion 3000GPH "jet stream" powerhead hitting your corals Vs. a 3000GPH Vortech that spreads it out in a wide "Cone" shape hitting your corals gently and evenly. i think you can also use less Pellets since they move much more effectively in the Conic design.

if you look closely, the pellets are actually moving not much faster than others. except the huge difference is that everything moves inside the reactor itself which can definitely prevent the clumping.

and also if slow moving is your thing, you can easily add a ball valve on the return and slow it all you want. 2-in-1 good idea! though i wouldnt know why someone would want to slow a bio-pellet reactor down.

krjackso
02/01/2012, 09:28 PM
ooops

snowriderz
02/21/2012, 08:55 PM
Looks great and thanks for the info!

Rocky_Mtn_Reef
02/21/2012, 09:03 PM
What are the dimensions on it? Price?

snowriderz
02/21/2012, 10:44 PM
It's listed on the Cadlights site for $175 and it comes with the built in pump,fittings and everything all comes included.

sirreal63
02/21/2012, 10:50 PM
Very cool! the cone design makes it so much more effective than the
straight cylinders seems like. i really like this new swirling tumbling Conic Bio-reactors from CAD Lights.

The water is distributed through a full size plate which evenly flows upwards, so its not a problem of too much agitation as the water isnt shot through a "jet" or tube. Jets have way more "focused" pressure compared to the soft "even-ess" of a distribution plate. think about an old fashion 3000GPH "jet stream" powerhead hitting your corals Vs. a 3000GPH Vortech that spreads it out in a wide "Cone" shape hitting your corals gently and evenly. i think you can also use less Pellets since they move much more effectively in the Conic design.

if you look closely, the pellets are actually moving not much faster than others. except the huge difference is that everything moves inside the reactor itself which can definitely prevent the clumping.

and also if slow moving is your thing, you can easily add a ball valve on the return and slow it all you want. 2-in-1 good idea! though i wouldnt know why someone would want to slow a bio-pellet reactor down.

Cool...8 posts and 5 of them touting CadLights.

MX175
07/15/2012, 04:29 PM
Cool...8 posts and 5 of them touting CadLights.

It's all good. The design looks as if it is forward thinking.

medhatreefguy
12/14/2012, 11:16 PM
I received my new Cadlights reacor yesterday and it turned out to be a real disappointment. The "made in the USA" claim is a crock. The pipe is Chinese and doesn't fit standard NPS pipe fittings despite their claim. The pipe that came with the reactor wasn't long enough to fit the reactor. The build quality and materials scream of cheap Chinese. The recirculating feature with the three way valve doesn't work properly because the way it fits the pump inlet causes the pump not to work properly. The three way valve is made of really cheap plastic. I am going to use it because it does the job but it is definitely not worth the $180 I paid. The only thing it has going for it is the form factor. These guys still have a lot of work to do on this reactor. I hope all of their products aren't as cheap as this one!

Jim Lepage
12/15/2012, 07:47 AM
I'm disappointed with mine too. I run it for a week now and yesterday after work I came to my sump and the pump wasn't working. I had to restart it. IMO it's not very reliable.

j tavares
12/15/2012, 12:33 PM
More crap aquarium products and manufacturers wonder why the turnover rate is high in the aquarium industry. I will stick w tried and true products like eheim canisters 22 yrs never a problem.

ReachTheSky
12/15/2012, 02:11 PM
More crap aquarium products and manufacturers wonder why the turnover rate is high in the aquarium industry. I will stick w tried and true products like eheim canisters 22 yrs never a problem.
Oh come on... someone has to follow the Star Trek motto here!

"Boldly go where no man has gone before!" :lmao:

The hobby would not be as advanced today if everyone simply thought of sticking to what works. Sometimes things just don't work as well as we thought they would and sometimes they work amazingly well and become an industry standard.

azjohnny
12/15/2012, 03:02 PM
though i wouldnt know why someone would want to slow a bio-pellet reactor down.

For bio pellets to work you need the inside of the reactor to have a low oxygen level,Its anaerobic bacteria that breaks down nitrates to nitrogen, they do this by respiration

In the video there is way to much flow for anaerobic bacteria to thrive

j tavares
12/15/2012, 03:59 PM
I am all for progress but the quality of the build is suspect according to posts