PDA

View Full Version : orchid dottyback

marinefish4life
02/01/2012, 01:26 AM
how aggressive are orchid dottys? i have recently got rid of my magenta dotty problem, and how would they do with a firefish and banngai (my tank is 75g)

James983
02/01/2012, 05:43 AM
I had one in my 180 and wouldn't ever consider another one. You won't be able to get any fish close to its size. If it goes in last you might have a shot, but when is your last fish really your last fish?

Curious George
02/01/2012, 06:50 AM
They are viscious as hell. Pitbulls of the reef IMHO. Never again sir, never again.

Jeremy Blaze
02/01/2012, 08:05 AM
Orchids can be aggressive, but not nearly as back as Magentas, unfortunatly, some people get them mixed up.

I had an Orchid in my tank, but I added a small scopas tang, and he beat the ochid to death. :( Strange I know.

I would not mix them with firefish though, dottyback wins.

andy13
02/01/2012, 01:43 PM
Not had a problem with mine . Sticks close to his home and will defend it but ok at all other times

Bax
02/01/2012, 08:46 PM
I wont keep a reef without a pair of Orchids in it. They stay to themselves and breed constantly. Their color is unmatchable. They will comand that size range in a crowded tank but given ample rockwork this tendency fades as well.

They are a beotch to catch so dont add them if you dont mean it!

rattler_mt
02/01/2012, 09:14 PM
have one in my wifes 72 gal bow front and it seems decent enough......couple fish smaller than it like a yellow watchman goby thats set up shop 8 inches or so from the dottybacks preferred hang out and a Rainford's goby thats half the dottybacks size that is usually hanging around the same batch of rock as it and it doesnt get harassed, infact most the time they seem like buddies as they are usually close to each other except when the Rainfords is grazing over the live rock.....he gets a lil biligerant at feeding time but even than aint half as bad as the ocellaris clowns....both of the gobies were introduced after the dottyback....

guessing it depends on the individual fish....

Grouperhead
02/01/2012, 09:33 PM
I had an orchid for 3 years before he jumped and he was an absolute model citizen.

OodleyBoodely
02/02/2012, 12:09 AM
The orchid I kept in a 55g was also a model citizen, and gorgeous with a charming personality.

marinefish4life
02/09/2012, 12:25 AM
thanks everyone for the replys, i might just wait till ive got the main fish i want and then add it it