PDA

View Full Version : New Biocube 29 gal HQI Cycling

bwitchn
02/01/2012, 01:31 AM
I used to have saltwater aquariums during the 1980's and 1990's. Then was out of the hobby for 20 years and now have started it again. Many changes and very pleasing advances in the ability to keep corals and marine life. I set up biocube 29 gal HQI on Saturday with live sand and 20 pounds of Pucani live rock. The LFS said I should add one fish (damsel) to help with the cycling (this used to be my experience years ago in cycling) and also a raw shrimp. Tank is running (skimmer is off - not running it now during cycling). THe shrimp is decomposing and the damsel is doing well swimming around. Temperature is 78 and salinity is at 1.024. I have been testing for an ammonia spike every day. It has been now 3 days and still ammonia at 0 while the shrimp is rotting and the fish is happily swimming. However, today I the tank has a diotom bloom and the Nitrites are high. How is that possible since I have not had any ammonia spike? help!!! Please. Thanks.

Bluemon
02/01/2012, 02:37 AM
if it was real live rock (almost fresh) it is possible you had an undetectable cycle with minimal die off

btw, it is frowned upon in the hobby to use fish for a cycle. if i were you, id return it to the lfs.

Jocko
02/01/2012, 08:14 AM
Wow a fish AND a shrimp. That's scary advice. Any other LFS in your area? I would get that shrimp out of there immediately. Lucky for the fish it seems your rock has enough bacteria to keep up with the shrimp so far. If you like the damsel, then consider him part of your community. If not, then I agree, return him. Focus on slowly adding things you want. I usually start with a small cleanup crew once I'm reading zero's across the board.

bwitchn
02/01/2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks. I removed the shrimp and returning the damsel. It was fresh live rock. so you think it was undetectable cycle?