PDA

View Full Version : Need Nano advice

rewris
02/01/2012, 11:37 AM
Hey guys,

Well I used to have a 80 gallon, I had to break it down over a year ago, as I left for the military, now that I'm stationed and situated for a while. I'm going to start a nano for right now.

Bought a fluval edge, and going to use that.

I was reading a couple months back about not using a skimmer in favor of a "scrubber", and then not using a skimmer at all. Which is the situation I'm going to be in as I have no sump plans at the present time. A ton of reefers swore by the theory of having enough rock will suffice for lack of a skimmer. I'm going to have to try this.

I'm just looking for any general advice and do's/don'ts.

I know I'm going to have to keep an eye on ammonia and whatnot, a really close eye.

Quite honestly, being without a reef for this long makes me feel like a beginner all over again, and I actually feel a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Please hit me with any advice, no matter how mundane/elementary, etc... you may think it is.

Thank you.

TjwBlake
02/01/2012, 11:50 AM
Honestly I dont think it is quite that scary going skimmerless on a nano.
Mine has been up for almost a year now, it is my first tank ever and it doesnt have a skimmer.
I do a weekly waterchange of 10% and basic mainentance of filters etc... never had a problem. Ammonia should never be an issue once you are set up and running, as long as you take your time putting things in and dont over stock, your bio filter should be fine handling that.

I test my water 1-2 a month now unless something looks off or i just introduced a new critter.

rewris
02/01/2012, 12:55 PM
I'm wondering how I should go by way of starting my cycle. I think the water volume is way too litte (6g) for the supermarket shrimp.

I won't do the damsel either.

I'm wondering if should just indulge in one of those chemical cycle additives.

TjwBlake
02/01/2012, 01:00 PM
just ghost feed.

a couple pinches of food for the next few days should help start the ammonia

Sean_South
02/01/2012, 01:08 PM
Im still in the planning stages of my tank but you could "ghost feed" fishfood to start the cycle.

rewris
02/01/2012, 01:28 PM
Im still in the planning stages of my tank but you could "ghost feed" fishfood to start the cycle.

i did consider this. I'll probably just go that route.

kevlow
02/01/2012, 03:53 PM
I would not shy away from going skimmerless. Stay disciplined with your WCs. Do not feed more then is being consumed by total tank inhabitants. This includes all things fish, inverts, corals , and right down to bacteria breaking down waste. My theory is to not import more then can be consumed, broken down and exported.

It gets easier with a small nano. You are generally one 5g WC away from solving most of your problems.

But, the small nano is more volatile and subject to swings if you get out of your params.