PDA

View Full Version : EB4 vs EB8

bamf25
02/01/2012, 03:45 PM
Which do people prefer? I currently have one eb8 that came with my Apex. I will now be adding two dosing pumps, and will need more sockets. Currently, I have 2 small powerheads sharing one outlet via an extention cord, and two seas swirls which are just plugged into the wall, because they do not really need to be controlled. In an ideal would those powerheads would each have their own socket, the swirls (2 are on an extention cord together) would also be feeding off the apex, and I really would like a 3rd powerhead. If I got the eb4 and kept the powerheads on one socket, 4 will be enough, even with a third powerhead. If I want independant control of three powerheads with my swirls plugged in, that pushed me to 5 sockets and the eb8.

So which way should I go? An eb4 or an eb8?

L8ndeb
02/01/2012, 03:50 PM
I always say in this hobby, bigger is better !

kenargo
02/01/2012, 06:32 PM
It depends; as you mention dosing pumps and power heads you may be needing relay outlets; the EB8 has 2 of them (outlet 4 and 8) while the EB4 has 4 relay outlets. Power is another consideration; depending on what you connect you may find that you have reached power limits in an EB8 long before you fill the outlets.

bamf25
02/01/2012, 10:47 PM
So the EB4 has more relay outlets? I did not realize that. I know people have said that the other outlets sometimes have issues with low wattage start up (ie dosing pumps, powerheads etc). My current EB8 is fully loaded with return, ato, powerheads, lights, skimmer, etc and has no issues. But the relay thing has me thinking the eb4 may be better.

L8ndeb
02/01/2012, 11:41 PM
So the EB4 has more relay outlets?

The EB4 has all relay outlets.

kurt_n
02/02/2012, 10:39 AM
...But the relay thing has me thinking the eb4 may be better.

For your situation, I'd agree. You definitely want those dosing pumps on mechanical relay outlets, and you get four of them with the EB4, versus two with the EB8.

bamf25
02/02/2012, 11:28 AM
EB4 seems to be the way. Thanks.