PDA

View Full Version : Which controller to buy?

wbeacham
02/01/2012, 05:45 PM
I am torn between the Reefkeeper and the Neptune controllers. Looking for recommendations from everyone to see which way to go.

jimsplace
02/02/2012, 11:37 AM
Neptune is the way to go, best customer service, quality product ...

mos90
02/02/2012, 11:46 AM
i love my neptune..

e46slc
02/02/2012, 11:49 AM
If you have the money, profilux. It's the bentley of controllers. If not, neptunes are fantastic.

ZR1001
02/02/2012, 12:15 PM
One more vote for Apex.

aleonn
02/02/2012, 12:36 PM
+1 on Apex. Do a search on the forums for Apex vs RK and you'll get a ton of opinions and rationales, the majority of them advocating for Apex IMO.

LowersMyBP
02/02/2012, 12:47 PM
Techies love their apex's. Simpletons like myself are happy with their RK's. I've actually seen a few people ditch their neptunes cuz it is too hard (for them) to program.

cm11599ps
02/02/2012, 12:51 PM
Go with the APEX. I absolutely love it and the service has been EXCELLENT!! You may get a busy signal if you call for service but that's because they are REALLY helping someone with their product. I called a few months ago and the call took about 2+ hours and there was never a rush to get off the phone. I've also emailed them on a Sunday night and got responses back ON A SUNDAY NIGHT. Not bad!

It is not hard to program at all. Just check out the Neptune forum here and you will find a slew of people willing to help you you coding. It's not hard at all.

rkhettry23
02/02/2012, 01:04 PM
I just got my neptune and have set up everything on the internet side, but haven't started to program the outlets yet. I also managed to successfully hook it up using a netgear wifi adapter so I do not need to hard wire it. So far working just as advertised. But the coding is slightly intimidating so I will definitely need help from the neptune subforum.

James77
02/02/2012, 02:18 PM
Techies love their apex's. Simpletons like myself are happy with their RK's. I've actually seen a few people ditch their neptunes cuz it is too hard (for them) to program.

It's got nothing to do with being a techie. I ditched the RK Elite and RKL becuase I wanted a product that is reliable and that has modules that are competetive with other controllers and a company that has outstanding support. Digital Aquatics failed me on all.

BS on the people switching because Apexs are difficult to program, they are not. They are just as simple as any controller using the general programming provided in the PC programming. More advanced programming has a little bit of a learning curve, but is simple as well. BTW, there have been hoardes of people jumping from ReefKeepers to Neptune, Profilux, and even ReefAngel...not the other way around ;).

James77
02/02/2012, 02:20 PM
I am torn between the Reefkeeper and the Neptune controllers. Looking for recommendations from everyone to see which way to go.

I've used both and will not own another Digital Aquatics product again. They are not ambitious in releasing new modules, and alot of their time is correct problems like the salinity probe. Getting RMA from them took a week of persistent emails.

Neptune has been far better from me. The customer service....I needed service, and had an RMA in less than an hour. I needed service on a Sunday night, and Curt was emailing me and checking my controller on line. Cant beat that.

bamf25
02/02/2012, 02:35 PM
Most people (including myself) on this site use and like Apex.

aculross
02/02/2012, 04:36 PM
+1 for Neptune as well

kenghmoob
02/11/2012, 02:22 AM
+1 for Neptune. The guys with Neptune never seem annoyed when I kept calling for their help

FrostyBallz
02/11/2012, 02:57 AM
Reef Angel is another choice as well, not as sleek looking but offers same features...

its an Arduino based controller, open source

I do not have one but intend on selling my RKL and buying one in the next month

newfubar
02/11/2012, 05:35 AM
I don't know much about this hobby but I do know this:

http://www.reeftronics.net/nufubar/apex-history

Russ is critical to the process for those of us that are computer challenged.

good luck!

Mark Bianco
02/11/2012, 07:37 AM
If you want to keep it simple the Apex has what I call macros for programming, such as one for lights, one for pumps , ect, ect all you do is just fill in the varriable such as time you want the light to come on and off. Very easy, when you want more advance features you can switch to the advance mode. If you are interested I suggest downloading the New User Manual that is stickied to the top of the Neptune support forum on this site. Very well written and easy to understand.

Hope that helps and did not confuse.

Mark

symon_say
02/11/2012, 09:29 AM
If you have the money, profilux. It's the bentley of controllers. If not, neptunes are fantastic.

Just asking, what makes the profilux better than apex/reefkeeper??

jason2459
02/11/2012, 10:10 AM
If I could do it again I would not go with Digital Aquatics Reefkeepers. I keep running into limitations of the programming, waiting for devices/modules/software constantly, and customer support is lacking. Having to mostly rely on their own forums on their site for some one to respond to a question is annoying and a lengthy process as it can take a while before getting a response. Took over a week for one of my questions a few times.

I don't know what other controller I would go with as I don't have any other experience with them but Neptune would be one I would start researching to make sure it can do what I really want to be able to do.

jason2459
02/11/2012, 10:16 AM
I don't know much about this hobby but I do know this:

http://www.reeftronics.net/nufubar/apex-history

Russ is critical to the process for those of us that are computer challenged.

good luck!

I highly recommend reeftronics.net to everyone that has just about any kind of controller. Its free (donations welcome and given) and nice way to get an external check and alert via email and text if you system is no longer reachable. I like his charts and easy read out of the current status of your devices.

cm11599ps
02/11/2012, 10:39 AM
I highly recommend reeftronics.net to everyone that has just about any kind of controller. Its free (donations welcome and given) and nice way to get an external check and alert via email and text if you system is no longer reachable. I like his charts and easy read out of the current status of your devices.

That's really a great point. If you are out and your power goes out then the apex can send you a text message letting you know. You would need to use a UPS though to keep the unit running long enough to alert you.

If you have reeftronics then it can also alert you. You will be notified from reeftronics if you lose power because it can't connect to your controller anymore.

layer3switchguy
02/11/2012, 02:44 PM
+1 on the Profilux if your budget can accomodate it. I did have an RKE and the original RK, and must admit I had several issues with it.

I have heard great things about the Neptune Apex.

symon_say
02/11/2012, 02:50 PM
Again, why is profilux better than apex/reefkeeper?? what make's it so special??

Commandoe
02/11/2012, 04:07 PM
I actually got the RK because it was initially cheaper. But when you look at the big picture, its really not. I think one of the nicest things with the controllers is the network option, which is an option on the RK, standard on the Apex. So on both entry level systems, you are already ahead with the Apex. So with the forums talk , tech support issues, the money that you spend on the Apex, its well worth it. I also like the bigger display on the Apex, I can see and read it more easily when I'm in the house. So I sent the RK back, unopened, and ordered the Apex Lite. Do your homework!

If you do get the apex, dont forget to order the pH calibration fluid for the probe!

James77
02/11/2012, 04:15 PM
Again, why is profilux better than apex/reefkeeper?? what make's it so special??

Nothing really. It is made of higher quality materials and is more bug free, but Neptune is also very high quality and have very very few bugs....any bugs are quickly dealt with. I have never had any kind of bug when using any of the 3 Neptune controllers(ACjr, Apexjr, and Apex) I have owned over the last 6-7 years.
The Apex can do pretty much anything the Profilux can do, save for a few more advanced things with probes that the typical hobbyist will never use. The Profilux has more integrated hardware like dosers that are nice.

I will say that Profilux and Neptune are better than Digital Aquatics. I would feel great having either of them on my tank. Profilux is great and has great support, just is pretty expensive. DA is spotty slow support from what I have experienced and read about. They seem to have more problems and it takes them quite a while to deal with them, like salinity and SL2 problems.

ReefAngel is another one to look at, I have seen nothing but positive reviews. A little less popular at this point, but they do seem very aggressiv in getting things like Vortech control out. I have yet to see a negative review, but again there are few people using it ATM.

Cerebrus by Vertex may be out some year, that will be another good one.

doctorgori
02/11/2012, 06:48 PM
Neptune! ...that is so long as you don't mind paying 1st then waiting and waiting and waiting......

James77
02/11/2012, 07:01 PM
Are they backordered? Whats going on with them?

chamjack
02/11/2012, 07:02 PM
Neptune! ...that is so long as you don't mind paying 1st then waiting and waiting and waiting......

+1 Neptune. Good things come to those who wait:lolspin:

James77
02/11/2012, 07:15 PM
Meh, its on temporary backorder from holidays and popularity. Im sure it will be caught up and back to normal and everyone will survive. Probably every single piece of reef equipment has gone on backorder at some point.....

Neptune also moved to larger facilities and is hiring more people.....

bayoupr
02/11/2012, 07:16 PM
BS on the people switching because Apexs are difficult to program, they are not. They are just as simple as any controller using the general programming provided in the PC programming. More advanced programming has a little bit of a learning curve, but is simple as well. BTW, there have been hoardes of people jumping from ReefKeepers to Neptune, Profilux, and even ReefAngel...not the other way around

I have had all three and by far the Profilux was the easiest to setup and get running. I am a computer novice and didn't like the Apex because of the programming. Everytime I wanted to set something up I needed help with programming.
If time is this then that
If weather then this and that and so forth.
I go to the Illumination in Profilux, select my AI channel and set up the time schedule and intensity. If I want clouds I check the box ( Not if this then clouds) like Apex. I find the Profilux easier to deal with. I never had any problems with the Apex, worked fine. I am not a programming wiz. RK, never again.

James77
02/11/2012, 07:20 PM
Yes, the Profilux has a more comprehensive UI than the Apex, with many options, one I like being variable ramping for Tunzes. But the Apex has a web interface that makes basic programming like lights, pumps and dosing very very easy. I have yet to see anyone displeased enough to jump ship on them, especially to RK.

ZOKU
02/11/2012, 07:22 PM
I know a controller isn't an absolute necessity for a reef tank.
But when I get my 40B all set-up, an Apex by Neptune Systems will be part of my system.

I've heard too many good things and read too many good reviews...

bayoupr
02/11/2012, 07:37 PM
I have yet to see anyone displeased enough to jump ship on them
I did. But I am probably the exception to the rule. If the programming would have easier (IMOP) I probably would have stayed with the Apex unit. I do agree that I don't think anyone would jump ship for a RK.

James77
02/11/2012, 08:18 PM
I did. But I am probably the exception to the rule. If the programming would have easier (IMOP) I probably would have stayed with the Apex unit. I do agree that I don't think anyone would jump ship for a RK.

You really found it that bad? Well, crap, now I can't post what you quoted me anymore :D I don't really get into the complicated programming, especially now the worst I have is dosing pumps, so it does not bug me as much. But the Neptune forum ahs been great helping me in the past. Maybe if Neptune had something similar to what Profilux does, with a multiple tabbed program to fine tune everything it would be less. Well maybe in the future as they seem to be growing....

I do like Profilux very much though, and would be my only other choice of the main three.

James77
02/11/2012, 08:22 PM
I know a controller isn't an absolute necessity for a reef tank.
But when I get my 40B all set-up, an Apex by Neptune Systems will be part of my system.

I've heard too many good things and read too many good reviews...

Once you have a controller, you will see that it is as close to as being a neccesity as there is. Almost mandatory needs are things like tet or email warnings when things go south, or automatic temperature controlled things like killing lights if too hot, and water sensors that will stop pumps.

bayoupr
02/12/2012, 05:47 AM
^^^^ +1. I went a couple of years without one, but a controller makes things alot easier than without. James77, my mind runs on an older CPU model which has limited updates available.:spin1: