PDA

View Full Version : Problem with algae on frag plugs only

ohioreef71
02/01/2012, 06:05 PM
I have about a dozen frags that I bought on a white egg crate rack I made. I dipped all before I put in the tank and none showed any algae and were frsh cuttings with new plugs. Now a fuzzy dark greenish brown algae is forming bad on the plugs and a little on the rack. No where else in the tank is a problem and all water specs are good. Don't know what to do. Is there a coral dip that will kill the algae?

brandon429
02/01/2012, 06:53 PM
100% certain kill listed in this thread thats the ideal time to use it:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082359&page=5

if you join up pls post before and after pics, the exact timeframe it will take to clean each spot back to the original condition will be right at two days after a single treatment.

Steve175
02/02/2012, 12:01 AM
I have about a dozen frags that I bought on a white egg crate rack I made. I dipped all before I put in the tank and none showed any algae and were frsh cuttings with new plugs. Now a fuzzy dark greenish brown algae is forming bad on the plugs and a little on the rack. No where else in the tank is a problem and all water specs are good. Don't know what to do. Is there a coral dip that will kill the algae?

Please do nothing radical until you get a few opinions. The hydrogen peroxide craze has not been uniformly accepted [trying to be kind here]. If the corals are fine, I would simply wait. Often newly added plastics get a bit of fuzz before the corralling can establish.

Ron Reefman
02/02/2012, 07:14 AM
I keep my supply of empty frag plugs in my sump along with some extra LR. That way they are acclimated and prepped when I need them.

ezerasurfr
02/02/2012, 07:42 AM
I keep my supply of empty frag plugs in my sump along with some extra LR. That way they are acclimated and prepped when I need them.

what a great idea! I keep mine in a ziplock with the fish stuff and have always been weary when I frag something....

great call!!!

brandon429
02/02/2012, 08:39 AM
The linked thread and associated threads within provide more than enough proof of the method if the link is actually read.
All new techniques start as a craze. Pico reefing was a craze that supposedly wouldn't hold in the early 2000's.

brandon429
02/02/2012, 08:43 AM
The thesis of that thread linked is to act as soon as you see any possibly invader that can destroy your aquascape. The old method of hands off, only natural approaches leads to many an algae problem thread... but its also true that sometimes luck is attained and conditions support an eventual decline in the primary challengers. At least you have two polar opposite recommendations to consider lol
diversity is good, either way post up before and after pics here of whatever method you run so we can get finality.

d0ughb0y
02/02/2012, 12:11 PM

from my experience, a turbo snail can clean the plug pretty well (so clean your plugs will look like they are brand new). algae blenny and tangs can as well.

ohioreef71
02/10/2012, 03:41 PM
Well tried peroxide 50/50 mix with r/o water. I left just the lower portion of the frags under water for about three min and it seemed to do nothing. I waited 4 days and no difference. Maybe I did something wrong. I ended up lowering my frag rack so it is touching a near by rock and the crabs can crawl on to it. I put a few of my hermits on the rack and word spread and it became an algae eating party took one day for them to wipe it out. I'm sure its not gone for good but at least they can keep up with it.