PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found growing in my Mag!

Acronic
02/01/2012, 11:57 PM
this is cool! I dont get what is happening, this is beyond my chemistry knowledge. My best guess is some sodium bicarbonate got into my mag mix of mag chloride and mag sulfate and this was the end result... What do you guys think is happening?

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/salvini55/IMG_2436.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/salvini55/IMG_2439.jpg

bertoni
02/02/2012, 12:51 AM
I'm going to guess magnesium chloride crystal, but I'm just waiting for a real chemist to respond. :)

Acronic
02/02/2012, 01:32 AM
I guess this means I need to change the remainder out and mix a new batch of mag supplement...

disc1
02/02/2012, 10:09 AM
Either way, that's one heckuva single crystal. I'm impressed.

disc1
02/02/2012, 10:10 AM
I guess this means I need to change the remainder out and mix a new batch of mag supplement...

Yeah, probably so.

Habib
02/02/2012, 10:43 AM
growing in my Mag

What kind of equipment is a Mag? A canister or something like that?

Both magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate dissolve readily in water.

So it must have become a supersaturated solution.

And the crystal must have grown slowly from a single seed.

From the appearance, if I would have to choose between the sulfate or the chloride, I would go for the sulfate. :)

Acronic
02/02/2012, 10:47 AM
Magnesium. Should have been more specific. I store the solution in a 2.5 gallon tank

Habib
02/02/2012, 10:56 AM
Ah OK! :)

Do you still have that crystal? It should dissolve easily in double the amount of water.

I suspect, as I already mentioned, that the solution got saturated by evaporation or lower temperature.

In that case a somewhat dilution will keep it easier in solution. So adding more water to the magnesium canister.

LeLutinBanni
02/02/2012, 11:03 AM
Probably kryptonite

Habib
02/02/2012, 11:06 AM
Probably kryptonite

I have some from the moon but that is green colored and very expensive/rare.

franklypre
02/02/2012, 12:11 PM
That really is cool, just when you thought you'd seen it all.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2012, 01:29 PM
Could be calcium sulfate which often precipitates from mixing magnesium chloride and sulfate salts, but the single crystal nature is very unusual, implying very slow crystallization. Habib's evaporation hypothesis seems pretty reasonable as that is a prime way to get big crystals.

Habib
02/02/2012, 01:52 PM
You could make him jealous :D. :

Epsom salts are easy to crystallise, quickly growing into a mass of interlocking acicular prisms. Remove a seed crystal and suspend it in another saturated solution, where natural evaporation will lead to continued growth. Large crystals grow reasonably well by this method, although they're usually packed with inclusions. My largest crystal to date is 4.2 cm long and took many weeks to grow. Something I have noticed on the larger crystals I've grown is that the terminal {111} faces tend to develop quite messily as the crystal gets bigger, whereas the prism faces, {110} and {100}, develop very smoothly.

From: http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfbanf/general/crystal.htm

bertoni
02/02/2012, 03:11 PM
Whatever it is, I'd keep it. :)

disc1
02/02/2012, 03:33 PM
Could be calcium sulfate which often precipitates from mixing magnesium chloride and sulfate salts, but the single crystal nature is very unusual, implying very slow crystallization. Habib's evaporation hypothesis seems pretty reasonable as that is a prime way to get big crystals.

Now Randy, how the heck would you make calcium anything from Mag sulfate and mag chloride?

Reefing alchemy? :lol2:

disc1
02/02/2012, 03:36 PM
I have some from the moon but that is green colored and very expensive/rare.

IIRC there is also a red form which had the opposite effect.

Habib
02/02/2012, 03:42 PM
Now Randy, how the heck would you make calcium anything from Mag sulfate and mag chloride?

Kryptonite weakened Randy. :)

Habib
02/02/2012, 03:43 PM
IIRC there is also a red form which had the opposite effect.

Red Kryptonite was an illusion. :)

seapug
02/02/2012, 03:46 PM
glue it to a necklace for mega bling.:bum:

Acronic
02/02/2012, 05:02 PM
Habib, your synopsis of what's happening make the most sense to me. The container is an open top with a large surface area exposed to the atmosphere. I had no idea that the mix would evaporate and become supersaturated. I will have to keep an eye on this and make tops for the containers.

The crystals are forming at a much more rapid rate than described. Over night the solution has developed a layer of small crystals that float on top. I want to see how big I can make the crystals so I will add the crystal back in the solution. Am I correct that if I ad more water to the solution it will start the process over once the water evaporates?

Habib
02/02/2012, 05:12 PM
Once you're near the saturation state by evaporation, small fluctuations in temperature can make it crystallize and redissolve again.

A lower concentration salts and a lid will avoid this from happening.

If I understood your question correctly then , Yes adding water will dissolve the crystals and evaporation will cause them. You can go on doing that as often as you would like to do. :)

Habib, your synopsis of what's happening make the most sense to me. The container is an open top with a large surface area exposed to the atmosphere. I had no idea that the mix would evaporate and become supersaturated. I will have to keep an eye on this and make tops for the containers.

The crystals are forming at a much more rapid rate than described. Over night the solution has developed a layer of small crystals that float on top. I want to see how big I can make the crystals so I will add the crystal back in the solution. Am I correct that if I ad more water to the solution it will start the process over once the water evaporates?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2012, 05:18 PM

Close :)

Calcium is often a high enough impurity in magnesium chloride to cause precipitation when it is mixed with magnesium sulfate even if both solutions are clear. That has been noted by a number of folks making the DIY, and I referred to it in the original article.

That said, such precipitation is usually very rapid resulting in fine white powder, not nice crystals like that shown above. :)

FWIW, that crystal may dissolve into a puddle if kept out on a humid day. :)

disc1
02/02/2012, 05:26 PM
Close :)

Calcium is often a high enough impurity in magnesium chloride to cause precipitation when it is mixed with magnesium sulfate even if both solutions are clear. That has been noted by a number of folks making the DIY, and I referred to it in the original article.

That said, such precipitation is usually very rapid resulting in fine white powder, not nice crystals like that shown above. :)

FWIW, that crystal may dissolve into a puddle if kept out on a humid day. :)

Aha. I just assumed you meant magnesium and wrote calcium.

Kryptonite weakened Randy. :)

I like the Randy as Superman explanation better.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/03/2012, 04:39 PM
:lol:

FWIW, I just rewatched a portion of the National Geographic show on the crystal cavern in Mexico. Those are up to 30 feet long and weigh 30 tons, and are calcium sulfate. :)

Habib
02/03/2012, 04:48 PM

FWIW, I just rewatched a portion of the National Geographic show on the crystal cavern in Mexico. Those are up to 30 feet long and weigh 30 tons, and are calcium sulfate. :)

That's nothing compared to icebergs. :D

Acronic
02/03/2012, 05:12 PM
I've got a second big crystal to show you guys, I will take a pic when I get home from work in a couple hours.

Sport507
02/03/2012, 05:39 PM

I saw that one too. Beautiful and amazing things happen on this blue planet. I thought I was rolling back in 4-H geology when I found my first piece of calcite. It was so cool how it would break into a parallelogram with a rock hammer.

No bows please!

mathusala
02/03/2012, 10:56 PM
That is seriously cool, you should try to grow them and make key chains or something lol

Yogre
02/04/2012, 01:01 AM
That's nothing compared to icebergs. :D

Icebergs are hard on ships.

I only like ice in my Jack Daniels. :lmao:

Acronic
02/04/2012, 01:41 AM
this guy is a little bigger

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/salvini55/IMG_2444.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/salvini55/IMG_2445.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/salvini55/IMG_2443.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/salvini55/IMG_2442.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/salvini55/IMG_2441.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/salvini55/IMG_2440.jpg

Garage1217
02/04/2012, 11:53 AM

Just watched the same thing and thought the same thing when I saw this post!

aleonn
02/04/2012, 01:48 PM
Very cool, you should sculpt it into something and sell it =P

thecoralreefer
02/04/2012, 11:05 PM
So as Haqbib says It's like Ice cream So cool

MandM
02/04/2012, 11:15 PM
You don't even need to sculpt those. You could sell them to crack heads for $20 a pop. :lol:

Cool looking crystals.

Acronic
02/05/2012, 02:12 AM
haha, yes I've often joked about the sump/mechanical room being a meth lab when people come over and check out the system. This just sweetens the joke.

RedTurboMr2
02/05/2012, 11:10 AM
cool crystals