PDA

View Full Version : New To Anemone's Which one is best?

Fishnthecorner
02/02/2012, 06:33 AM
Or should I say, Which one is easiest to care for. My wife really wants an anemone in our new 235g. I'm doing some looking around, and I'm not sure which one to get. I have a Percula clownfish, that I've had for 3 years.
Looking at blue zoo, I noticed some anemones are "aggressive"!? Aggressive towards what?
I'm not setting up a reef, just a FOWLR.
My fish are:
3 tangs, 3 butterflies
2 angels
2 puffers, and the clown
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productlist.asp?did=2&cid=74

homegrownREEFER
02/02/2012, 09:10 AM
Aggressive meaning that if any of your fish bump or run into it on accident it will eat your fish. I believe Carpets are more on the aggressive side where LTA's and BTA's aren't as aggressive.

With your current stock list I am not sure if it is a good idea. Some Butterfly fish can pick at anemones and not sure but I believe some puffers may as well. Might want to wait for someone that has more experience with that to comment.

I think it would be good to list the depth of your substrate, lighting, parameters, also how long the tank has been up and running. It'll make it easier for people to suggest. BTA's are suppose to be the hardiest and one of the "easier" anemones, however it is not a natural host for your clown.

bradleym
02/02/2012, 09:44 AM
The natural host for your clown is hard to keep. The second best is a BTA, and probably the easiest hosting anemone. However I have heard the same about butterfly fish. You may be unable to keep anemones. Also anemones need very clean reef quality conditions to survive.

cichlidconvert
02/02/2012, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't have anemones or corals that look like them with angels and most certainly the puffers. They would become puffer food. There are always exceptions in this hobby but i wouldn't try it. Anemones are expensive snacks.

garygb
02/02/2012, 10:50 AM
I agree with other posters, it's a bad idea to introduce an anemone in a tank with your current list of fish. It may be fine, but why risk killing an anemone. A dedicated tank for anemones is generally the best bet.

cichlidconvert
02/03/2012, 02:22 AM
I have a dedicated BTA tank and its now my favorite:) See my Bta tank build thread. They are ok with other BTA's so its as fun as mixing and matching colors.

tropicalsea
02/03/2012, 03:27 AM
You can make a really nice tank with just anemones. Don't take the risk.

D-Nak
02/03/2012, 12:50 PM
It would be tough to keep any anemone in a FOWLR tank. Aside from others have mentioned about your tank inhabitants picking at the anemone, based on your current tank specs you'd probably want to upgrade your lighting (I don't think 4 T5s on a 235 gallon tank will be enough).

Fishnthecorner
02/03/2012, 02:24 PM
ok. Thanks guys. No Anemone for me...