PDA

View Full Version : ATI to hot?

SeedlessOne
02/02/2012, 03:21 PM
So I finally got my 90g up and running!! Had the canopy dropped off last week and have been running my ATI Sunpower since. The canopy is 12" in height and has an open back. I have noticed that the ATI fixture gets hot. Almost to hot to leave your hand on it once its been running all day. So my question is.. how hot is to hot? If need I can take a temp reading from the fixture. And if it is running to hot is that hurting the fixture or bulbs? I have the fans set at 9v now... should I bump to 12v? Thanks a lot.

schristi69
02/02/2012, 03:54 PM
Heat rises so you are trapping all of that heat until it finally flows out the back. You need a fan to either push air in or pull air out of your canopy. The light cooling fan is just pulling in hot, trapped air.

BuckeyeTodd
02/02/2012, 04:33 PM
If the fixture is getting too hot turn up the fans. Also verify the fans are blowing, at least back in the day the ATI logo sometimes would block the fan from turning.

rtparty
02/02/2012, 05:52 PM
Be very careful using your fixture in a canopy, it will usually result in a void warranty. You need to have a nice gap between the one side of the fixture and the canopy. That way the air has somewhere to exit properly. Like noted, you also need some fans drawing in fresh air for the fixture.

Sounds like fixture may be overheating and you will fry the components if not careful.