PDA

View Full Version : Liter Meter

Buzz1329
02/02/2012, 07:52 PM
So I cracked open my new Liter Meter ATO pump today, and found a notice that read "PLEASE READ THIS FIRST." The notice basically said that I should check to see if the LM was working before I installed it on my system, and if not to use an enclosed Allen key (which BTW was not enclosed) to open the pump head and try to fix it. I'm serious.

IOW, the manufacturer obviously knows there is good chance that the product it sold may not work out of the box. But it doesn't recall the product -- not even the UNSOLD products -- to correct the problem itself but instead asks the consumer to do its work for it. I guess that will save the company a few sheckles, but at what cost to its reputation?

Today must have been my lucky day because the one I got seems to be working without my intervention. And the directions for the repair seemed pretty painless.

But can you imagine buying a non-aquarium electrical appliance for more than $300 and finding a notice inside the box that it might not work, but here's how to fix it? Actually, I can't even imagine that happening. And if it did, it would probably be the teaser for the nightly network news.

Or put another way, can you imagine buying a pump from a fellow reefer who represents to you that the product has never been used but encloses a note when he ships it saying it may not work, but here's how you can fix it?