PDA

View Full Version : Ati sunpower or powermodule

Bolo Tran
02/02/2012, 10:21 PM
I've been racking my brains trying to decide between LED or T5 and finally decided on the T5 route. Only now I can't decide between the Sunpower or Powermodule. What's the main differences between the two and is the Powermodule worth the extra pennies?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.583564,-95.250190

pardalis
02/02/2012, 10:40 PM
I just sold my LED's and went back to T5's. I really liked my LED fixtures, but I wasn't in love with them. I also asked the same question about a week ago and the consensus was get the Sunpower and save a few dollars. Well after showing the wife pics of both she chose the Powermodule (of course it was more expensive). I can say I am very very happy with the new fixture, it is well built and has great output. From my reading and the feed back I received though... if money is no object get the Powermodule, if it is more of a concern, grab the Sunpower.

kellerexpress
02/03/2012, 03:04 AM
Save you money and get the sunpower

Vipete1985
02/03/2012, 04:31 AM
I have the 6x54 watt sunpower on a 72 bow n this thing torches my corals I had to lift it up like 8 inches over the tank.... SpS in my tank r mid to upper level n lps on the mid to lower level

Cosmo^Kramer
02/03/2012, 06:17 AM
I wish ATI made mounting legs for their fixtures

rtparty
02/03/2012, 11:00 AM
I wish ATI made mounting legs for their fixtures

A lot of people say this but I don't think most people realize this would never work. The majority of ATI users have to run their fixture 8-10" off their tank. You can't make a stable and good looking mount when you have to keep the fixture that high above water. Not to mention you are talking about engineering something that will need to be able to raise and lower the fixture within a 6" range. The contraption is either going to be VERY expensive, ugly and/or unstable on the tank.

I used to think ATI was shooting themselves in the foot by not making tank mounts but after owning a fixture seeing first hand what they can do, ATI doesn't need to worry about tank mounts. There are plenty of ways to hang the fixture over a tank if you get clever.

Alex T.
02/03/2012, 12:27 PM
A lot of people say this but I don't think most people realize this would never work. The majority of ATI users have to run their fixture 8-10" off their tank. You can't make a stable and good looking mount when you have to keep the fixture that high above water. Not to mention you are talking about engineering something that will need to be able to raise and lower the fixture within a 6" range. The contraption is either going to be VERY expensive, ugly and/or unstable on the tank.

I used to think ATI was shooting themselves in the foot by not making tank mounts but after owning a fixture seeing first hand what they can do, ATI doesn't need to worry about tank mounts. There are plenty of ways to hang the fixture over a tank if you get clever.

Agreed. I'm most likely going with a Powermodule for my new build and don't want to ruin it by having mounting legs on a beautiful custom starphire tank. Even if they were available, I would probably get some electrical conduit, screw it to the back of the stand and bend it way above the tank to suspend the fixture to the desired height. I couldn't imagine taking a heavy, beautiful fixture like the Powermodule and putting those ugly legs on it. Then it would just look like any other fixture...which it clearly is not.

solitude127
02/03/2012, 01:04 PM
I've been racking my brains trying to decide between LED or T5 and finally decided on the T5 route. Only now I can't decide between the Sunpower or Powermodule. What's the main differences between the two and is the Powermodule worth the extra pennies?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.583564,-95.250190

2 differences.
1 - the material of the housing. PM is brushed stainless and and the SP is aluminum
2 - # of fans per bulbs. PM - 1 fan/ 2 bulbs, SP can have up to 1 fan / 4 bulbs. Since the SP will has less fans, you probably need to run the fan setting higher therefore it will be a little louder.

rtparty
02/03/2012, 01:59 PM
2 differences.
1 - the material of the housing. PM is brushed stainless and and the SP is aluminum
2 - # of fans per bulbs. PM - 1 fan/ 2 bulbs, SP can have up to 1 fan / 4 bulbs. Since the SP will has less fans, you probably need to run the fan setting higher therefore it will be a little louder.

According to ATI, the housings are both aluminum but the powermodule is more heavy duty. The powermodule is not made from stainless even though so many people think it is. Also, the PM needs more fans because of the more heavy duty material used.

This all comes from atinorthamerica.com.

solitude127
02/03/2012, 03:20 PM
Having both, I could swear they're 2 different materials. And I don't quite understand why heavier duty materials requires more flow. oh well.

rtparty
02/03/2012, 03:39 PM
Having both, I could swear they're 2 different materials. And I don't quite understand why heavier duty materials requires more flow. oh well.

My only thought is that the heavier duty material may act as a better insulator and trap the heat a little more.

Bolo Tran
02/03/2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Other than the materials and fans what are the other major differences between the two? From what I remember, isn't the powermodule dimmable?

The only thing that is still holding me back is I'm just afraid I'm going to miss the shimmer when I get the ATI. The shimmer just makes a reef tank look "alive". Has anyone had any success in achieving real world shimmer from their ATI fixtures? If I can make this happen I would get the ATI's in a heartbeat.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.583509,-95.250192

pardalis
02/04/2012, 01:42 AM
I get a little shimmer. It's very little but it is there. If shimmer is a must and again money isn't throw in an LED strip (current true lumen pro) as I did. Problem solved!

atreis
02/04/2012, 07:53 AM
IMO, if the sunpower comes in a configuration that works for you, get that. If not, then get the appropriate number of powermodules.

IMO also, I prefer LEDs, but cost is still an issue.

synrg
02/04/2012, 04:41 PM
ATI has a dimmable Sunpower with a built in controller now also. Maybe add Ecoxotic Stunners for Shimmer...

rtparty
02/04/2012, 06:15 PM
ATI has a dimmable Sunpower with a built in controller now also. Maybe add Ecoxotic Stunners for Shimmer...

Stunners wont provide shimmer through the T5s. You need the pro modules at a minimum to get any shimmer.

Bolo Tran
02/04/2012, 07:27 PM
Who makes the pro modules? How many will be sufficient in getting a good shimmer and where do you guys mount it to the ATI fixtures?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.583568,-95.249984

rtparty
02/04/2012, 08:51 PM
Who makes the pro modules? How many will be sufficient in getting a good shimmer and where do you guys mount it to the ATI fixtures?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.583568,-95.249984

Ecoxotic makes them but you are going to have a hell of a time trying to mount any leds and have it look good. If shimmer is that important, dont go with T5s as you will end up disappointed.

Bolo Tran
02/04/2012, 11:30 PM
The primary reason I chose T5 is that it's tried and true time and time again. There are a lot of reefers who have achieved great tanks and SPS colors using T5s. LED's on the other hand I have read many stories of reefers who switched back to T5 s as LED's disappointed them.

I'm really enticed with the functionality of led and the fact that I won't need to run a chiller but all that is not important if I don't get good colors and growth from my corals.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.583605,-95.250290

dustinc
02/05/2012, 12:04 AM
I've owned both and both are great fixtures. The output between the two is about the same (about 5% higher on power module). If I were needing to get a new ATI fixture my decision would be dependent on what tank type I was using it on only because of the cosmetics. The powermodule looks very sleek and the sun power a little more industrial. If you don't mind the look of the sunpower I would definitely save your money and get it.

Card5
02/05/2012, 12:36 AM
Get the Sunpower. Both are great but put the money on your bulbs.

orucco
02/19/2012, 01:21 PM
I am thinking of buying a 6 bulb ATI Dimmable Sunpower with controller for my 75g reef and would like to know how the cotroller works? It mentions you can set up to 10 waypoints? ...................Thanks!

davocean
02/19/2012, 03:44 PM
I'm using the ATI sunpower and truelumen pro's, liking this combo.
The panorama pro strips are actually stronger, have better reflectors, but I wish they made them in 48" lengths.
You won't get MH shimmer, but you will get enough to make the difference IMO

rtparty
02/19/2012, 03:49 PM
they made them in 48" lengths.
IMO

Soon grasshopper, soon! :fun2: