PDA

View Full Version : clowns territorial

sassyfrassy
02/02/2012, 10:39 PM
My Ocellaris pair has grown from 1/2" to 1 1/2" & 1 3/4" and are fat & sassy, and spawn regularly. They share the tank w/2 clown gobies - the green one sits right beside their house w/ no problem, but the citron they chase away. I want to add a couple of fish, but don't know if the clowns will accept other fish - they think they own the whole tank. Should there be a problem - Pigmy Angel & Midas Blenny. thanks for any suggestions. BTW I have a Macro algae tank w/mushrooms.

elegance coral
02/03/2012, 07:50 AM
You should be able to squeeze those fish in a 65 with the clowns. The clowns may chase them a little, if they get to close, but that should be about it. There shouldn't be any real stress, or fighting.

sassyfrassy
02/03/2012, 01:06 PM
Thank you for taking time to answer me. 2 other questions: I have assorted hermits - one quite large (quarter size). I want to have a few shrimp like pistol - will the hermits or any of mentioned fish bother them? Are the hermits the reason my pods have almost disappeared - or the clown gobies - or both? When I add pods to DT my clowns check them out, but won't eat them. I had a fuge w/tons of pods- transferred all (including red mangroves & chaeto) to DT, b/c don't need a fuge for export in a macro set-up.

jbax
02/03/2012, 04:35 PM
i would add pods with the lights,pumps and powerheads off. just a side note pistol shrimp dig tunnels under your rocks. so make sure they are secure.

yes clown fish are very territorial. as long as your new fish are smart and learn quick who's boss, everything will be fine. i recently bought a kole tang he didn't get the hint and kept going into the lions din. he was a dumb fish and dumb enough to get caught in a fish trap, then he went to QT again.

fpv930
02/07/2012, 08:27 PM
My clowns are only bonded at this time. They have been displaying signs of possibly mating soon. The female has become very aggressive towards all tank mates except the Yellow Tang. I believe this is normal and they will protect their territory. You should be fine with the new tank mates.