PDA

View Full Version : Almost auto water changer idea

kenith
02/02/2012, 10:51 PM
So I searched over a few threads and am thinking about a simpler, almost automatic water changer.

-have a ball valve right where the normal water level is that drains out to an outdoor sewage drain.

-run a line with a pump from my mixed water container into the return section of the sump

-all excess water added to the system would simply drain out.

* ball valve would stay open unless I needed to service the return pump or to turn the return pump off for any reason.

- if all works well the first couple of times, hook the pump from the mixed water to my Reef Keeper and do daily water changes of xx gallons (approximate)

What do you guys think. Any negatives?

drparker
02/02/2012, 11:21 PM
Sounds good until a power failure. Then the water from the tank that normally drains into the sump would exit via your open ball valve. When power restored your sump would empty into the tank possible running the pump dry.

Maybe solenoid controlled valve hooked to the RKE would work.

kenith
02/02/2012, 11:51 PM
So a float switch wired to a relay for failsafe? Good point on the power outage

kenith
02/03/2012, 01:05 AM
Anyone have a source for solenoid controlled valve? Iirc, they are pricey

waternewbie
02/03/2012, 06:19 AM
Just buy a UPS so when the power gos out ,the UPS will go from ac/ to dc power.they are used in pc why not fish tanks as long as it away from water

kenith
02/03/2012, 01:49 PM
Just buy a UPS so when the power gos out ,the UPS will go from ac/ to dc power.they are used in pc why not fish tanks as long as it away from water

I have a upc that runs my return pump. Problem is, if the power outage last longer than expected, it would cause a problem.

I have found some other members who have used a solenoid pinch valve that is normally closed until energized. Since it's a pinch valve, there is no contact with the solenoid itself.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#7877k5/=8y3xal