PDA

View Full Version : Egg crate as frag tray, treating?

sd45x
02/03/2012, 01:10 AM
Emily & I are starting a new frag tank, our first, a 20x20x10. Stand alone for now, 10g sump with fuge, NAC 3.5, Rio 2500+, SCWD, 150w LED (eShine) at 14" above water level.

To my question, I've heard people "treat" the egg crate (florescent light cover) first but can't seem to find info on it.

Do we need to treat it first? If so how?

Thanx,
Peter & Emily

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

dahenley
02/03/2012, 11:28 AM
Some people claim it peaches phosphate,but I have never had any problems with it growing any type of algae.
I have painted some with krylon fusion with no ill effects either.

sd45x
02/03/2012, 02:10 PM
Thank you for the reply, we've used small bits in my DT but never a large piece. I guess since I have time, I'll grab a can of Krylon Fusion and give it a try.

bvysochin
02/04/2012, 01:29 AM
I'd strongly suggest against using the white eggcrate.. I did remember reading prior to using it that there were a few different types of white, some ok for our applications, others horrible.. Well.. when we tried, we ended up with the horrible type. We had never ending algae.. despite running three phosban reactors, trying all new bulbs, tons and TONS of macroalgae, we couldn't get it to go away. We'd manually pluck at least a solid gallon of nasty algae a week, and still couldn't keep up. We lost many, many corals after them getting smothered.. It's around $10 for a 24x24 sheet of black eggcrate from BRS.. One of the best investments we ever made..

tibob32
02/04/2012, 05:51 AM
I had a bunch of algae located solely on the eggcrate in my last frag tank, which I have the feeling was due to the eggcrate (no strong evidence). I just soak my eggcrate in RODI for a while. Some people go to the extent of soaking in vinegar for several days, but I dont have the patience

smsreefer
02/04/2012, 09:21 AM
Soaking and testing for silicates never hurts either.
Some are known to release silicates as well.

RichardinMa
02/05/2012, 10:24 PM
I have a frag tank that I am using white egg crate in and do not have any problems with it. I typically use the black but only because I like the color better but did not have any available when i was putting this tank together. I have no algae in that system at all- even on the egg crate. I would not put paint in my tanks.

jeff@zina.com
02/07/2012, 03:32 PM
White egg crate, no treatment here. Algae is a fact of life and you just deal with it. Krylon is safe when dry/cured.

Jeff

sd45x
02/07/2012, 03:45 PM
Thanx for the replies, I just put it in, we'll see how it goes and keep an eye on my levels.