PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered 2 Vortechs!

cm11599ps
02/03/2012, 03:34 PM
I only have a 55 but I finally decided to upgrade and get 2 MP40's with the corresponding APEX module. I'm sure it's a bit overkill for my tank now but I plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the next year or so. That gives me time to play with the pumps so I know how to use them before the big tank.

Can't wait and looking forward to reading up on everything.

cm11599ps
02/04/2012, 05:25 PM
Is it asking too much for you guys to post some of your programming. I've been trying to read up on everything but am still looking for ideas. Perhaps it will become clearer when I finally get the things this week.

I currently have a 55 gallon mixed reef. I plan on putting an MP40w on each side of the tank.

Do you guys cycle through the different programs daily? Do you kind of just keep one mode or two throughout the day? Any and all help greatly appreciated!

cm11599ps
02/04/2012, 05:25 PM
Is it asking too much for you guys to post some of your programming. I've been trying to read up on everything but am still looking for ideas. Perhaps it will become clearer when I finally get the things this week.

I currently have a 55 gallon mixed reef. I plan on putting an MP40w on each side of the tank.

Do you guys cycle through the different programs daily? Do you kind of just keep one mode or two throughout the day? Any and all help greatly appreciated!

zmalexander
02/05/2012, 02:25 AM
My default is ReefCrest. I rotate through Tidal Swell a couple of times a day. Also, I have it set so that when I hit Feed A is goes into ReefSlow (reefcrest 30%), then Tidal Swell, then Nutrient Transport.

Fallback Reef
Set Reef
If Time 10:00 to 12:00 Then TidalSwl
If Time 16:00 to 18:00 Then TidalSwl
If Time 20:00 to 08:00 Then ReefSlow
If Feed A 135 Then NTM
If Feed A 030 Then TidalSwl
If Feed A 000 Then ReefSlow
If Feed B 000 Then ReefSlow
If Feed C 000 Then ReefSlow
If Feed D 000 Then Off

Comtek
02/05/2012, 09:16 AM
i just use 2 modes one for day and one for night

cm11599ps
02/12/2012, 07:36 PM
I'm trying to set everything up but am having problems. I was trying to update the drivers as per step #3 in the guide. I don't know what selection to actually choose when looking at the display module since there are a few that say update. I tried each one anyway but I always get a "download error" message. I followed the instructions about powering down the module for a few minutes but it still didn't work.

What bout the master slave? It looks like I am making BOTH of my vortechs a slave. Is that correct.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

aquamanic
02/12/2012, 08:15 PM
You can assign either of the slave modes (sync and antisync) to either pump but you wouldn't do it to both. Somebody has to be the master, the other then would be the slave and run in either of those modes.

Re the download error, you cycled power to the WXM module?

cm11599ps
02/13/2012, 08:57 AM
You can assign either of the slave modes (sync and antisync) to either pump but you wouldn't do it to both. Somebody has to be the master, the other then would be the slave and run in either of those modes.

Re the download error, you cycled power to the WXM module?

In reading the unofficial guide I thought it said both pumps should be in slave mode. So you're saying one pump should still be master and one slave?

Yes, I unplugged the wireless module for a few minutes. I'm gonna unplug it again now. Right now I'm just ntm via the vortech controller.

aquamanic
02/13/2012, 09:21 AM
So you're saying one pump should still be master and one slave?

I hope I didn't say both need to be slave. You would assign one pump a non-slave profile, say Reef Crest. That becomes the master in my example. The second pump is assigned a Sync profile (it's the 'slave') and that profile points to pump #1 as the master. You could also do the second pump as Anti-Sync the same way, point to pump #1 as the master. Either way will work, just depends on what you want to do. And, you could have a third, fourth, etc. all point at pump #1 but each could be different - running sync or anti-sync profiles.

cm11599ps
02/13/2012, 10:15 AM
Still confused. Step #5 in the manual says to assign each ecotech driver as a slave to the wxm.

I'm still seem to having problems when trying to update. I don't understand d steps 2 and 3.

cm11599ps
02/13/2012, 10:35 AM
I believe the firmware for the module is updated. I tried to update ecotech option and it seemed to get further this time. Here's my current screen.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/yourbasicdj/b78f66a9.jpg

Yesterday I would get a download error here. Where do I go from here?

aquamanic
02/13/2012, 12:38 PM
Still confused. Step #5 in the manual says to assign each ecotech driver as a slave to the wxm.

Ah, I see what you're referring to. Different kind of 'slave'. Perhaps a different word to describe the relationship between the WXM module and the Vortech pump drivers is necessary. From a Vortech wireless perspective, the WXM is the master and the Vortech drivers are slave to it. I was talking more about the programming relationship with the various Vortech pump modes and making one pump 'slave' to a 'master'. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding your image above, I don't have my notes with me but it appears you've downloaded the RF firmware correctly to the WXM module finally. That's good. The next step is to pair the pump driver(s) with the WXM. I don't recall the precise key sequence but it should be in the documentation. Do one pump at a time, make sure any other pumps are powered off. Also, put the pump driver close (about a foot or so) to the WXM so the driver gets a strong signal from the WXM.

cm11599ps
02/13/2012, 08:10 PM
What do you main pair? How do you go about that?