PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ID

BigKahuna
02/03/2012, 07:02 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/jerrycube/jerrycubepix/AIP.jpg
Poking out from the bottom of the rock...
http://homepage.mac.com/jerrycube/jerrycubepix/AIP2.jpg

I just got a good, maybe too good to be true, deal on a large T-bone steak sized Acan and after dipping it before putting it into the tank I saw that little guy on the bottom of the rock balled up. I've had LTA and BTA's and it kinda looked like a small balled up BTA. The body looked whitish with brownish tentacles. Now today it came out from under the rock and it looks more to me like the dreaded A-word. What do people think? The rock is really smooth on the bottom so I can scrape hime off if need be but I'm worried they will spread.

SjadeD
02/03/2012, 07:31 PM
Looks like a BTA to me.

bradleym
02/03/2012, 08:14 PM
I'd put anything on it being aiptasia dude, sorry.

Softie
02/03/2012, 09:09 PM
I'd put anything on it being aiptasia dude, sorry.

Looks like it to me too.
How big is it?
When touched does it completly retract into a hole or something?
And can't be seen at all for sometime.

BigKahuna
02/03/2012, 09:35 PM
Looks like it to me too.
How big is it?
When touched does it completly retract into a hole or something?
And can't be seen at all for sometime.

It's about an inch across. There aren't any holes in the bottom of the rock, he's just stuck to the bottom. I didn't mess with him too much because I wanted to see what it was. I did poke it very lightly with tweezer and it pulled back half way but not all the way, not sure if that's only because he doesn't have a real hole. I'll test poke him again and see...

Softie
02/03/2012, 10:49 PM
Do an image search on Google for majano anemone.

BigKahuna
02/03/2012, 11:31 PM
Interesting, I wasn't convinced it was aiptasia because I've seen many of them, I had a FOWLR which had tons of them about 15 years a ago and didn't care about them and this little guy looks beefier, more opaque, less delicate and elegeant looking than an aiptasia. I hadn't thought of majanos and I think you might be right on than. Still a pest but from what I've read they are a little easier to eradicate.

elegance coral
02/04/2012, 04:45 AM
I'm with Bradley on this. Looks like aiptasia to me too.

OrionN
02/04/2012, 08:55 AM
It is an aptasia. You better remove him before he disappear into a crevice in you live rock. If this happen, then you are going to be in for some pain in the future.

rayn
02/04/2012, 11:39 AM
Appy gets my vote...KILL IT!

BigKahuna
02/04/2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll be gone w/in the hour. What's the best way? Remove the rock, scrape it off the bottom and cover the removal zone with Kalk paste just to be sure?