PDA

View Full Version : Best way to attach mushroom to rock?

rovster
02/03/2012, 07:07 PM
Hi all. A while back I bought a rock with a ton of ricordias. Under my stock biocube lighting they just looked OK. The rock is in an area of higher flow, so some of the more exposed shrooms went for a swim. Unfortunately they end up in a remote corner and are tiny now. Because I had quite a few I wasn't a big deal. I just upgraded to LEDs and these once drab ricordias look stunning now, LOL! Some of these guys stuck in corners I'd like to move to other areas of the tank before they wither away. I've tried attaching them using some cheese cloth and rubber bands in the past and that worked. However, there are a few places with moderate flow and moderate light that I'd like to attach some directly to. I don't have a lot of space to work as this is a smal biocube. Is it possible to just superglue them to the area, or possibly superglue it to some putty and then glue that? There are 3-4 of them I'd like to try and relocate. Thanks in advance!

Rudolph
02/04/2012, 07:15 AM
I cut a piece of pvc pipe about 2-3 inches high and then drilled small holes (no larger then the rics of course) in the sides for water flow. I set it on end in the bottom of the tank on the sand. Then I put in very small pieces of shell fragments (the kind some use for substraite) in the pvc. Then I drop the rics in and then take bridal netting and stretch it over the top and then hold it in place with a rubber band. They usually attach within two weeks. I then take them out and put superglue on the shell fragments and the small rock and let them sit for a few minutes in a small water container (water from the tank) to make sure it attached to the rock okay. If so, I put it in the tank in a low flow area (don't get tempted to put it in the ideal spot just yet). Then let is sit for a couple of weeks and then relocate to where you want it. You can rush things and still have it work out, but I have found patience is the key and a higher success rate the first time. This is especially important if you have a larger tank with a lot of rock as they will float away never to be found again.....good luck.

Sushi man
02/04/2012, 12:03 PM
I'll use toothpick.. Works wonder with softies in general.. Stick mushroom around the mouth area and find a small hole on ur rock, make sure the foot Of the mushroom attach with the rock.. Wait couple weeks and when the base/ foot anchor pretty good.. Twist the toothpick slowly ( dont pull !! ) and u got ur mushroom attach to the spot u want. Good luck !!