PDA

View Full Version : How long without a light?

DylanE
02/04/2012, 05:23 PM
I have a bc6 that in setting up as a mini reef that as of now has a kenya tree, some zoas and some horn coral in it. I ordered a led retro fit for it so I can move up to some basic sps, but after I gutted my hood and set up the LEDs they flickered and went out :(. me, being not so electrically savvy can't figure out how to set the original Cfs back into place. I've ordered new LEDs to replace the dis functional ones, but they won't arrive till sometime next week. Will 4 or 5 days with no light do permanent damage to my coral? I don't really want to run out and buy a temp cf fixture, I'm pretty broke.

aleonn
02/04/2012, 06:10 PM
Some reefers go a few days without lights to eradicate cyano or algae issues. If it's 4-5 days or more, I'd maybe move your BC6 next to the window for natural sunlight. Or you can purchase a cheap light from Home Depot (the ones people use for their refugiums) to hang over the tank temporarily. I don't know about the horn coral, but the Kenya tree and most zoas are quite hardy when it comes to lighting and water parameters IME.

doonan75
02/04/2012, 08:40 PM
A few years back we experienced some hurricanes and were without power for 1-2 weeks each time. Luckily we live in a sunny part of the US and I used mirrors to light my tank with no problems besides heat(no AC or chiller). Being that you are in a much cooler climate temp wise (fla>cali :) ) You should be OK.