PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying clownfish!

aaren92
02/04/2012, 11:20 PM
Hey guys! New to Reef Central and entirely new to saltwater aquariums. I got my first tank when a friend of mine's coworker was upgrading -- he knew I had always wanted one.

Anyways, it was an already established tank with a clown fish -- one that I had always thought to be an Ocellaris. On Thursday I went to my LFS and invested in another 'Ocellaris.' However this one looks much different than my original. (Something I did not wholly notice until I had them in the same tank).

The funny thing is, immediately after they were together they began pairing off. And I do mean immediately -- my original clown fish immediately started to do the seizure looking thing where he submits to the more dominant fish. So I would assume they are the same species...

Anyways, I have attached some pictures -- any help identifying them would be much appreciated!

hvacman250
02/04/2012, 11:26 PM
They both appear top be A. occellaris

eferna
02/04/2012, 11:27 PM
if your talking about the color being different then yeah , but otherwise they look the same to me. You got Ocellaris dude

aaren92
02/04/2012, 11:32 PM
Cool thanks! Like I said I barely started my saltwater aquarium about a month ago. My friend already had it established for what he said to be almost a year. Only major difference between em is the new one has clear tipped fins. My first clown has full black tipped fins.

jbax
02/04/2012, 11:36 PM
as clowns mature their colors fill in

aaren92
02/04/2012, 11:39 PM
as clowns mature their colors fill in
Good to know! It's sort of strange, I can tell the younger one is the newer clown I added, however it is definitely the most dominant one. So I'm guessing she'll become the female, although she is younger.

ange062
02/05/2012, 12:49 AM
If the first clown was in the tank alone for a year it may very well already be a female. Check out this thread, you will find tons of great info!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098

aaren92
02/05/2012, 10:59 AM
If the first clown was in the tank alone for a year it may very well already be a female. Check out this thread, you will find tons of great info!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098

awesome thread, thanks man! Surprisingly enough, I really don't think it ever made the transition to a female -- not with the way these two are acting.

jbax
02/05/2012, 09:23 PM
give it time they will work out who's going to be what