PDA

View Full Version : Slicing Yuma's From a small Plug

CLINTOS
02/04/2012, 11:20 PM
Hey

Does it make sense that I want to make a frag plug the size of say a dime. then place a small cutting of a yuma and let it grow.

Then keep slicing the over hang once it grows over the dime size plug by 1/4".

will this work?

I'm assuming yes, but just wanted to get a second opinion?

FragIt Dan
02/04/2012, 11:29 PM
I frag Rics a fair bit and have them take at almost any size, as long as there is some foot.

CLINTOS
02/04/2012, 11:48 PM
Does a foot happen at full growth?

Say I glued a 1/4" cutting of a yuma after it healed and attached to gravel, then I attached it to a 1/4" plug.

Would it grow down around the plug in time? or would it start to grow outward?

so far with my discoma's they are growing outward.

I'm hoping it would grow outward, but if it grew down that would probably be ok too, then I can slice it with a razor.

I want to know if I can have a yuma that keeps giving me growth, where I can slice him off of a small plug some way and keep having a frag on the original plug then keep slicing it as it grow's, like a money tree...

CLINTOS
02/04/2012, 11:54 PM
I Would love to have a money tree, it's a dream since I was young.

FragIt Dan
02/05/2012, 01:08 AM
My Rics are like a money tree:). There might be other ways of fragging them, but I let them grow onto the plug until the foot is well covering the plug, then razor it in halves or thirds, each not much smaller than a dime. When I razor the Ric, I push down on the razor firmly enough to score the puck it is on and then take my side cutters and clip the puck on the scored part. This should result in the puck breaking where you cut the Ric. You can now glue each bit of puck with the Ric on it onto a new puck. Later, when the newly fragged Ric grows onto the new puck, you can cut it on the join mark between the old puck bit and the new puck, break the old puck bit off, and repeat the process. You will not be able to glue the Ric itself onto anything, it will shed the glue off in a couple of days. I started about a year or so ago with 3 or 4, have sold about 30, and have about 60 left, 20 of which are ready to frag again.

FragIt Dan
02/05/2012, 01:13 AM
Hey, you're in Canada! Want some Rics? PM me or check my profile out for contact info.

CLINTOS
02/05/2012, 02:49 AM
Hey, you're in Canada! Want some Rics? PM me or check my profile out for contact info.

sounds good I will