PDA

View Full Version : How many SOL units?

mastershake72
02/05/2012, 02:30 AM
I have a 24 x 20 x 20 tank that I'm getting ready to set up. I have seen a great discrepancy in what people recommend for lighting with AI SOL units. I have seen some people recommend that one AI Sol module per foot is the best way to light the tank evenly, and then I have seen others go with one unit for every 2 feet. I dont plan on using the AI stock rails directly over the tank and instead plan on having the light about 8-12" AWL and would like to grow SPS in the top half or 3rd of the tank. I am certainly open to getting additional 70 degree optics if that will allow me to run only one unit and get solid coverage capable of making SPS thrive. Unless the Vega comes out with UV lighting (which I stronly doubt,) then I be going with SOL's and will also be supplementing either some T5 lighting or possibly some ecoxotic stunners which will add some additional light to the tank. Any advice, particularly from people who are running AI SOL's over their tank, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kga943
02/05/2012, 06:21 AM
i was looking at the same setup for my 40 gal breeder,2 sols but then my lfs started selling ecotech radion lights and he says 1 light should work and it has free pc integration so you dont have to buy a controller 1 radion is 750.00 vs 900.00 for 2 sols with controller i will get mine Tuesday or Wednesday.i forgot to say he sells both lights and the radion is defiantly brighter and has red and green leds

Crusinjimbo
02/05/2012, 07:11 AM
I have 1 AI SOL centered 8" AWL on a 24x24x24 cube. System just cycled and is very unpopulated at this point. The single SOL appears adequate to initiate poplating the system as perameters permit. Adding LED lighting as needed.

Falcao
02/05/2012, 08:33 AM
I think two is the way to go, if you do not like shading. This is what is good about the AI. Start out with one then see if you would like or need the other. I was using one for about 9 months over 36x12x 18. It was fine for have of the tank, but once I got the second one over Christmas , it is like night and day.

mastershake72
02/06/2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the help. I think that I will take Falcao's advice and start with one and see how it goes. I can always upgrade in the future if I don't like how things are going.