PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Scoly Fraggers

Lacktaters
02/05/2012, 05:44 AM
I picked up this orange warpaint scoly on earlier this week. It's probably 3" across and the pictures don't do it justice. It's an awesome translucent neon orange color under actinics. I only had to give about $60 for it since it was damaged. As you can see from the pics, there's a chunk of skeleton missing. The flesh has completely healed over the area.

My question is as follows...

Is there any chance the skeleton will grow back or will it always look like a doughnut with a bite out of it?

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb437/Lacktaters/IMG_20120204_150959.jpg

Lacktaters
02/05/2012, 05:50 AM
Here's a pic under actinic that gives a better idea of the color...still doesn't compare to the actual thing though

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb437/Lacktaters/IMG_20120204_145641.jpg

Sar
02/05/2012, 07:49 AM
I had two scolys that did the same thing and sorry to say they didn't make it. Idk if i didn't pay much attention to them as i should to help save them or not. If you are truly want to save them, i heard that you should dip them in some iodine to kill the dead tissue and to help it heal.

FrogfishFeeder
02/06/2012, 12:29 AM
Scolies are pretty tough, imo.
Put it in a shady spot, and leave it alone.
The polyp will round out again, tho the skeleton may not catch up.
In a couple months you wont notice anything.
The missing chunk of skeleton will make no difference.

T.MONEY
02/06/2012, 03:29 AM
Feed it often and it should grow back over the open skeleton.

OneReef
02/07/2012, 10:15 AM
The title was scoly fragging. I thought you were going to show a scoly you cut in half. I've wanted to try it, but don't have the nerve..ha

Lacktaters
02/07/2012, 01:35 PM
The title was scoly fragging. I thought you were going to show a scoly you cut in half. I've wanted to try it, but don't have the nerve..ha

I'm sorry for getting your hopes up. I almost wonder if that's not what happened to the orange one. If it was cut in half, the polyp has rounded out...just not the skeleton.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

FrogfishFeeder
02/08/2012, 02:16 AM

I have a bleeding apple that is getting way too big...
Im planning on cutting it in half in the next couple weeks.
Ill take some pics.

Nelly6669
02/08/2012, 09:06 AM
I too would love to see the fragging of a scoly!

Nemo4ev
02/08/2012, 10:32 AM
It does not look stressed which is a great sign, like people said before if you feed it the flesh will round out... The skeleton will take quite a long time to regrow but it will happen in time.

Lacktaters
02/09/2012, 01:31 AM
I hear that a tile saw will work just fine for fragging a scoly. It's the other piece of equipment (or should I say set of equipment) that is difficult to find when it comes to cutting a single polyp that cost you $200-$300. I paid less than that total for all three of mine and I know I don't have the equipment for that job.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Justin74
03/17/2012, 01:37 AM
... It's the other piece of equipment (or should I say set of equipment) that is difficult to find when it comes to cutting a single polyp that cost you $200-$300...

Well said :lol:

-Justin

MechEng99
03/17/2012, 10:01 AM
It will heal up and be perfectly rounded in no time if provided good care and regular feedings (about 2x per week.) I've rescued several damaged scoly's, and the first post in my thread shows this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918483

ros_sco
03/17/2012, 11:12 AM
There was an article in Reef Hobbyist magazine a while back on fragging scolys. Once there, just click the screen to turn the page.
http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/archives/vol_3/issue11/pages/10.htm

Justin74
03/17/2012, 06:57 PM
Geez, no offense rosco, but that read was flowery fluff of ambiguity. Not too difficult to figure how to cut one..But his last line sums up of how uninformative the whole write up was. "Time will tell..." :lol2: Btw, hope that frag is doing well for you! Last of the Mowhikans before I lost the colony due to an issue I had regarding chemipure:hmm5: But grow that booger out so I can by a frag back!

Think the big question is how much time are we talkin here? After vivisection that is..I'd imagine like rings on a tree is what it'll take to develop new skeleton to the circumference it was before the cut. Im guessing at least 1 year to develop a thin finger nails worth of a layer, 2+ to make it more substantial. Any experienced scoly cutters out there?

-Justin

FrogfishFeeder
03/18/2012, 03:02 PM
Hey justin, come down next week with yourscolies, got access to a bandsaw.
Lets answer these questions...

Justin74
03/18/2012, 03:48 PM
I've already contacted the author and will hopefully have an answer shortly, WITHOUT having to stare at some half moons myself for a couple years! :lol:

@FrogfishFeeder: Btw, thought YOU were the one towin this line buddy??!! :lol2:

-Justin

Psirex
03/18/2012, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ZKBvB0j_0

xraided199
03/18/2012, 07:32 PM
wish i could post a pic of a very nice green apple frag that i had bought from an LFS a while bacc, the wholesaler picked out the "brightest" one supposedly, and it wasn't but a half an inch half-circle. well, after almost 8 months it has almost completely filled out to a full circle when fully inflated, gained much color, and the missing skeleton has made no difference at all in regards to the shape of the scoly itself. i have only fed it a couple of times, but seeing as it loves to be fed, probably should have more often. i feel your scoly has a great chance of recovering and becoming a full circle again, at least the flesh of it.

Justin74
04/14/2012, 05:21 PM
There was an article in Reef Hobbyist magazine a while back on fragging scolys. Once there, just click the screen to turn the page.
http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/archives/vol_3/issue11/pages/10.htm

Just an update, spoke to the author, and owner of the scoly's and has too come up with the result of a full circle of regrown tissue, but the skeleton has yet to catch up and is still in half. Sounds like the skeleton takes years to regrow:sad1:

-Justin