PDA

View Full Version : bulb suggestion

dviper150
02/05/2012, 12:41 PM
I am deciding on between a 36" ati purple plus and a 36" uvl super actinic. Which one would help the corals pop more?

rtparty
02/05/2012, 12:54 PM
They are two TOTALLY different bulbs that do different things.

Do you want just straight pop? The actinic is better for that but it is extremely dim and will be overpowered by other bulbs.

The purple plus is purple not violet like an actinic. The purple bulb will cast a pink hue and make your pinks, reds and purples look better.

Again, two completely different bulbs.

dviper150
02/05/2012, 12:57 PM
oh, okay. Thought they were the same. I am putting it in a 6 bulb fixture so if I got one of the uvl bulbs, would it even be noticeable if its on with the other bulbs or no since its dim?

rtparty
02/05/2012, 01:13 PM
oh, okay. Thought they were the same. I am putting it in a 6 bulb fixture so if I got one of the uvl bulbs, would it even be noticeable if its on with the other bulbs or no since its dim?

I wouldn't waste the spots for actinic bulbs. The ATI Blue Plus and other similar bulbs have plenty of actinic in them already.

For 6 bulbs I like to run 4 Blue Plus, 1 Purple Plus and 1 GE6500k or 4 Blue Plus and 2 Purple Plus. The latter is my favorite.

dviper150
02/05/2012, 01:17 PM
I currently have 2 blue plus (still need to replace the last blue bulb with a blue plus), 1 purple plus, and 2 aquablue specials. I heard the GE6500k turns the corals a little brown but makes them grow faster?

6rotorguy
02/05/2012, 01:24 PM
Hi dviper150,

I only run 4 bulbs, but here it is:

2 ATI blue plus
1 ATI aquablue special
1 KZ fiji purple

I put the KZ as the front bulb after seeing the aqueblue special up front. The whitish/bluish color of the AB special seemed to wash a lot of color out. After I put the KZ as the front bulb it was amazing. The color seemed to jump right out of tank.

Hope that helps.

6rotorguy

rtparty
02/05/2012, 04:06 PM
Hi dviper150,

I only run 4 bulbs, but here it is:

2 ATI blue plus
1 ATI aquablue special
1 KZ fiji purple

I put the KZ as the front bulb after seeing the aqueblue special up front. The whitish/bluish color of the AB special seemed to wash a lot of color out. After I put the KZ as the front bulb it was amazing. The color seemed to jump right out of tank.

Hope that helps.

6rotorguy

Have you tried this order?

Blue
Purple
Aquablue
Blue

Have the Blue and Purple be your dusk/dawn combo.

6rotorguy
02/08/2012, 04:27 PM
That bulb configuration sounds very exciting, I'm doing it as soon as I get home.

Thanks rtparty!

dviper150
02/08/2012, 04:49 PM
I tried the blue and purple be my dusk and dawn but didn't like as much as all blue. Just a personal taste.

rtparty - What configuration would you suggest for me to get the best colors and growth from my corals? I currently have 3 blue plus, 2 aquablue, 1 purple blue. i am thinking of taking out one of the aquablues and replacing it with a blue plus but not sure how well that will work. Also thinking of replacing the one aquablue I will have left with a GE6500k per grim reefers suggestion.

rtparty
02/08/2012, 05:02 PM
I tried the blue and purple be my dusk and dawn but didn't like as much as all blue. Just a personal taste.

rtparty - What configuration would you suggest for me to get the best colors and growth from my corals? I currently have 3 blue plus, 2 aquablue, 1 purple blue. i am thinking of taking out one of the aquablues and replacing it with a blue plus but not sure how well that will work. Also thinking of replacing the one aquablue I will have left with a GE6500k per grim reefers suggestion.

Pulling an Aquablue for another Blue Plus is a great idea. Have you ever tried 4 blue plus and 2 purple plus? That is a pretty cool combo as well.

I have heard that 4 blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus is really nice as well but have not seen this combo first hand.

dviper150
02/08/2012, 05:04 PM
I don't want it to be all blue which is why I am going to leave one white bulb in. Not sure if I should stick with my aquablue that I have or change it to ge6500k.

dviper150
02/08/2012, 05:07 PM
What order would you keep the bulbs for the bulbs that I am keeping from front to back?

rtparty
02/08/2012, 11:15 PM
I don't want it to be all blue which is why I am going to leave one white bulb in. Not sure if I should stick with my aquablue that I have or change it to ge6500k.

It won't be as blue as you think but it is always nice to grab a spare bulb to play with.

dviper150
02/09/2012, 12:58 AM
^^^ ???

Did you mean to post any pics?

Dino
02/09/2012, 05:31 PM
^^^ ???

Did you mean to post any pics?

Not going to get an answer, LOL it was a spammer. Anytime you guys see those new members that post 3-4 broken images. Report them for us. :D

rtparty
02/09/2012, 05:39 PM
Not going to get an answer, LOL it was a spammer. Anytime you guys see those new members that post 3-4 broken images. Report them for us. :D

LOL! I had to do a double take and re read the whole thread really quick. I thought Dino was saying I was a spammer.

I mean I have been called a lot of things on here but never a spammer....:lolspin:

Sorry dviper, I don't have any pictures of the 4 blue, 1 purple and 1 coral plus combo. I haven't seen it in person yet but most people say the Coral Plus is pretty close to the KZ New Generation so I have a very good idea of what it looks like.

dviper150
02/09/2012, 07:14 PM
I will buy an extra blue bulb and see how the it looks. Definitely want to replace one of the aquablues with a blue plus though.