PDA

View Full Version : RO Water System

jerry v
02/05/2012, 01:52 PM
Hi: I am getting my feet wet again after 30 years. I am loking for a RO system to install in my house but I don't want to break the bank. I am setting up a 150 gal. tank . I guess I will need to make about 25 gallons a day for makeup water and water changes. Is this enough? What is a good unit reasonably priced with easy to find replacement filters?
Thanks in advance
Jerry v

sporto0
02/05/2012, 01:58 PM
Brand names mean nothing, it's all about the membrane & cartridges. The 75 gpd membranes have the best rejection rate, only 2% is rejected. Here is a good system, I would also purchase a flush kit & garden/sink adapter if it does not come with one, it's the second unit on the page. http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=167&Sub=166

jdm01
02/05/2012, 02:29 PM
I have a SpectraPure 40 gpd system. It seems to work reasonably well. I did buy the sink adapter to go with it. I have the kit to plumb it in under the sink, but for now am happy with the sink adapter.

Alex_P
02/05/2012, 02:46 PM
Filter sizes are pretty much universal between brands.
I like Bulk Reef Supply. Like Sporto0 siad the 75Gpd Filmtec Membranes are the most popular/best. Here is a link to to their 5 stage. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/reverses-osmosis-deionization-systems/standard-ro-di-systems/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html
It includes a flush kit and Dual TDS meter to monitor membrane and DI resin.

Dustin1300
02/05/2012, 05:57 PM
I used to agree that all are the same but since I got the Vertex unit I can't completely agree. Comes with booster pump, pressure meter, TDS meters before and after the DI, and the computer controls flushing the membrane daily and before/after each batch of water I filter. I'm not sure how much the flushing helps with the life of the system but I've been very pleased with the purchase.

Vertex RO/DI System (http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/VX-RO-PD100.html)

sporto0
02/05/2012, 06:16 PM
I used to agree that all are the same but since I got the Vertex unit I can't completely agree. Comes with booster pump, pressure meter, TDS meters before and after the DI, and the computer controls flushing the membrane daily and before/after each batch of water I filter. I'm not sure how much the flushing helps with the life of the system but I've been very pleased with the purchase.

Vertex RO/DI System (http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/VX-RO-PD100.html)

Bells & whistles bro, if your water pressure is good into your home, you don't need a booster pump, a manual flush kit is $5 & works the same way, & a handheld TDS meter is the best way to go, it's easier to keep clean. BTW a flush kit will add up to a year or more to your membrane, flush it once a week.

torpedo101
02/10/2012, 02:16 PM
i have a air water ice system i haven t hooked up yet the last sale didn t go through but it has a 75 gpd unused membrane by filmtec.. i have 3 sets of filter s unused will let all go for 100 buck.. s ......plus shhip which is 20 or so..if you still need one..

jerry v
02/11/2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the help . Now I have to decide which on to go with .
5 stage from bulk reef supply or 4 stage from buckeye field supply. Thanks again JerryV

TeHGuy
02/11/2012, 09:54 AM
I have the 5 stage from BRS, I run at 1tds before the DI, so its pretty fantastic considering I am 400ish tds going into the unit.

ChrisL1976
02/11/2012, 10:04 AM
I'm curious how the replacement filter cost compare of the $150 system verse the $300 systems?

TeHGuy
02/11/2012, 10:08 AM
well, filters should be roughly the same across the board as long as they have the same number of stages.

stage1: particle filter (1 or 5 micron) (cheap, under $10)
stage2: carbon filter (usually 5 micron) (under$20)
stage3: carbon filter (usually 1 micron) (under $20)
stage 4&5: DI resin (under $20 each)

I have seen a few cases where they use 5micron and 1micron particle filters as well as 5 and 1 micron carbon filters.

keep in mind that particle filters are every 3-6 months, carbon every month to a year. DI when necessary.

want to get your moneys worth out of the system? get a drinking water kit or use it to refill the jugs on your water cooler.

Sport507
02/11/2012, 10:50 AM
I’m running a 5 stage RO/DI from BRS, it comes with a back flush valve TDS meter and pressure gage. I added a second membrane to the system and it makes 5gal. per hour at 54 PSI.

Randyb123
02/12/2012, 12:30 PM
I was wondering what's the difference in ro units from your local Cullinan dealer or whoever is in your area and 1 you buy from a reef supply shop? Zi rent mine for $15. A month and they come out and replace all the filters every 5-6 months at no extrancost to me. I could buy the unit from them but then I would have to maintain it myself and would be responsible for the cost of the new filters with one of them costing $75 the other is $40. So it saves me money to rent rather than spend $250. A year on filters.m I am getting ready to get back into salt water so if I shouldn't be using this system I would like to know.
thanks Randy

Scizzle
02/12/2012, 01:49 PM
I just got an aqua fx barracuda 4 stage 100 gpd ro/di unit with a chloramine blaster, because my city water has chloramine. It's good quality and priced competitively.

You need DI, regular culligan systems are only RO.

http://www.aquacave.com/AQUAFx-Barracuda-4-Stage-RODI-System-P632.aspx

bnumair
02/12/2012, 02:09 PM
bulkreefsupply is my fav.
good units and replacement filters and parts readily available.