PDA

View Full Version : To Buy a Controller or not??

AutoEXE
02/05/2012, 09:55 PM
So its tax time again which in my house that = NEW TOYS!!!! so for my tank that might mean a controller. I am currently looking at a Neptune AquaController Apex System, but I am not sure if its the best for me (but I like that it is the best out there)... so the thing I am worried about......

-My T-5 Lights are controlled by the internal clock. ( so the question will it still be able to do storms and control the on/off and moon cycle?)

-Is it overkill for my 75 gal tank?

what are the pros/ cons to having a controllers with t-5 lights?

TimeConsumer
02/05/2012, 11:30 PM
A controller is never overkill. They allow for a lot of redundancy. You'll be able to keep your temps more stable, and you won't have to worry about a heater failing in the on position and cooking your tank. Temperature control can also extend to your lighting system. For example, I live in New Orleans where it is in excess of 90 or even 100 degrees in the summer. If my A/C fails, my house will rise in temperature very quick, as will my tank. I programmed my controller in case of this, or some other problem. I keep my tank at 78 degrees, if it gets above 78.1 the heater turns off, if it gets above 78.5 the fans turn on. If it gets above 81 the lights, and the return pump all turn off. This is in an attempt to keep the temperatures from getting out of hand too quickly, so I have time to fix it. None of this could be accomplished without my RKE (or an Apex in your case).

There are other great functions too. If you use an ATO with kalkwasser a pH control function can turn of the ATO if your pH rises above say 8.4. This way if a pump somehow gets stuck on, you won't dump 5 gallons of solution into your system and kill everything.

I'm not quite sure how it will integrate with your built-in timers on your T5 fixture. If it were me I'd just disable the timers and use the controller to program it all.

Dholmblad
02/06/2012, 12:22 AM
Just get one of the basic models. I purchased a used apex jr or what ever the new model is. It allows me to control the temp(#1 most important thing) and 3 other outlets. Also has a built in Ethernet which is great.

nlgill13
02/06/2012, 12:35 AM
You cant go wrong with a controller, although programing is always the fun part (not bad but can be tedious). The Apex are great, and you should have no problem getting the timers set properly. My one suggestion if you do decide to go with a Neptune you should download the "Unofficial Guide" which lays out all functions in a much better format and how to use them to their fullest.

AutoEXE
02/06/2012, 12:35 AM
Thank you both for your quick responses!!!! i am deffanly getting one I like having the pace of mind that my tank is being watched all the time (and that i can get updates to my iphone). right now I think i am getting the basic model like Dholmblad said unless i know it can control my T5 lights!!! Thank you both for your help

If any one has experience with a controller and T5 light (that have a internal time in them) please let me know

I have the solarxtreme ..... model SE-42488

AutoEXE
02/06/2012, 12:36 AM
You cant go wrong with a controller, although programing is always the fun part (not bad but can be tedious). The Apex are great, and you should have no problem getting the timers set properly. My one suggestion if you do decide to go with a Neptune you should download the "Unofficial Guide" which lays out all functions in a much better format and how to use them to their fullest.

I Will do thank you!!!!

Alex_P
02/06/2012, 12:37 AM
I have an Apex Jr and a full Apex. They are very different. The Jr model is VERY limited. It is currently my backup in case my Apex fails. I would recommend the full version if you want to control ATO, PH, Tunze, LED lights etc.

nlgill13
02/06/2012, 12:58 AM
That or the apex lite...which has all the same functions as the Apex but has fewer outlets (i believe) and costs about $100 less.

PS- you can always add more outlets later if need

Bosco83
02/13/2012, 09:47 AM
No the Lite doesn't have 4 plugs that can go from 0-10v for dimming lights or using controllable power heads. It also doesn't have a second port for ORP.

feh
02/13/2012, 12:10 PM
The RKL supports a lot of those features but you'll need to add the ACL module for the light dimming. Its main limitation is it only supports 4 modules though.

SeedlessOne
02/13/2012, 12:19 PM
Check out the reef angel. Endless possibilities. Full control from iPhone/android. Much cheaper than the rest.

edward45
02/13/2012, 12:24 PM
The apex is the single best thing I've done for my tank.

Playa-1
02/13/2012, 12:25 PM
The controller has saved my arse a couple of times. I highly recommend ;)

Meslo
02/13/2012, 12:29 PM
You must not be using the rkls alc unit on a DIY fixture or at least one that has several menwell 48d drivers. It plain sucks as a LED light controller at least for me. ANd there customer service is horrid

Mr.Mcgibblets
02/13/2012, 01:32 PM
I got a Apex for Christmas and can not recommend it enough! I made a couple of noob mistakes during setup and their support people were fantastic. Each time I spoke with them they took the time to help and I never felt rushed. Once you have it setup properly it is hard to imagine this hobby without it.

alton
02/13/2012, 04:54 PM
I have used a RKL (new ones $119) for a couple years now. In that time my AC died three times, each time my controller turned my MH lights off. I don't think it matters which one or how much you spend just get one.

Holyreefer
02/13/2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah i have a neptunes aqua controller and i can't say really anything negitive about it.
Still haven't learned how to hook it up to my iphone yet but in due time

D-Nak
02/13/2012, 05:59 PM
I have an Apex and I feel it's the best investment I've made. I have a sense of confidence when I leave my house, knowing that there is something "watching" my tank. I set up email updates each morning so I have a daily status report. And I can use the iPhone app to check status on the fly.

When we spend thousands of dollars and countless hours building our tanks, it makes sense to have it protected. The $500 investment is worth every penny -- and justifiable. $700+ for two MP40s for water movement, not so much. ;-)

I agree that it doesn't really matter which controller you purchase, since all are good. Just make sure the one you choose does what you want it to, or will be able to do what you want it to down the line. I chose Neptune Systems since they are close to me -- I sent it my EB8 and they fixed it and returned it in a matter of days -- for free.