PDA

View Full Version : Cupramine question

tapio
02/06/2012, 04:19 PM
I have been treating a Powder Blue tang, a Singapore Angel and a Blackback butterfly with Cupramine for 8 days. All fish had white spots initially (mostly the tang) and they appear all to be free of spots now, at least that I can see. The angel and butterfly behave calmly but the tang is still scratching and very nervous.

How fast should I expect the Cupramine work? Although I can't see spots on the fish I assume the tang is still affected.

Should I extend the treatment longer than the recommended 2 weeks since the fish appear still be infected. The transfer of the tang from a reef to the treatment tank (20 gal) is stressing it too but I don't think the scratching is due to stress.

JEC11718
02/06/2012, 07:00 PM
I believe the treatment should be at least a month, then u continue to qt until your tanks fallow period is up, just my opinion...but that is where I'm at right now...my fish in ht and then qt and then back to dt after 10 week fallow

enjetek
02/06/2012, 07:43 PM
Bottle says to treat for 2 weeks but I would do at least do a month.

MrTuskfish
02/07/2012, 09:19 AM
I agree with a month, at least. Moving the tang sure didn't stress the tang as much as the ich. Scratching can continue a while; the parasite leaves sores, so watch for infection.

yellowbellied
02/07/2012, 10:27 AM
so after the 4 week treatment with cupramine, should we change the qt water to the point where there is eventually no cupramine until the fallow period is done?

MrTuskfish
02/07/2012, 12:28 PM
so after the 4 week treatment with cupramine, should we change the qt water to the point where there is eventually no cupramine until the fallow period is done?

Yes; or run carbon or Cupramine to remove it very quickly. BTW; DT water is fine for a newly set-up QT, but don't use it during the fallow period.

sandwi54
02/07/2012, 12:30 PM
Yes; or run carbon or Cupramine to remove it very quickly. BTW; DT water is fine for a newly set-up QT, but don't use it during the fallow period.

MrTusk meant Cuprisorb, not cupramine :spin2:

Carbon or cuprisorb will absorb cupramine very fast. I usually use a pack of activated carbon and it would absorb all of the cupramine from my 55g QT in 2 days.

MrTuskfish
02/07/2012, 12:42 PM
MrTusk meant Cuprisorb, not cupramine :spin2:

Carbon or cuprisorb will absorb cupramine very fast. I usually use a pack of activated carbon and it would absorb all of the cupramine from my 55g QT in 2 days.

Correct, of course. I fired my editor for this!