PDA

View Full Version : Is this an OK Phosphate Level?

windyridge
02/06/2012, 09:28 PM
Finally bought a Hannah Phosphate checker. How is this for a phosphate level?

0.06 (+ - 0.04)

I have no algae to speak of so far except on one rock I brought from my old tank which has some carpet algae that is staying the same and not spreading or growing much. Also have some dino limited to a few strings on the dry rock that I brush off every day. I have very little algae on the glass. Only have to clean that off every 4 days or so if even. The tank is 2 months old and an upgrade from an older tank with half dry rock and half older live rock and live sand. I am running some GFO in a filter bag laying across a baffle in the sump so all the water drops through it on its way to the last chamber.

Should I add more GFO or is this acceptable?

bertoni
02/06/2012, 10:43 PM
If the tank looks okay to you, I would say the GFO is doing well enough. I might up the dosage a bit, since phosphate can adsorb on to live rock, which would become an issue if you wanted to keep the phosphate level lower at some point in the future, or start having an algal bloom. That's an issue about your future plans, though.

windyridge
02/06/2012, 11:23 PM
I think I will increase the phosphate because I don't want any problems in the future. Thanks!

bertoni
02/06/2012, 11:48 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!