PDA

View Full Version : Kenya tree is like a weed...

Putty
02/07/2012, 09:35 AM
I recently bought a tree. It has probably doubled in size already. The branches separate from the tree quite often, blow around and set themselves on other rocks. Now I have like 7 different kenya trees growing.

Ron Reefman
02/07/2012, 10:26 AM
I had over 30% of my 30g tank covered by these. They even chased a rock flower anemone into hiding in the rocks. I ended up pulling the rocks, selling what I could (even giving some away) and cooking the left over rocks. No more kenya tree coral for me.

Mongo77
02/07/2012, 01:17 PM
I had over 30% of my 30g tank covered by these. They even chased a rock flower anemone into hiding in the rocks. I ended up pulling the rocks, selling what I could (even giving some away) and cooking the left over rocks. No more kenya tree coral for me.

I hope that doesn't happen to me. I had one come into the tank as a hitch hiker.

mudskipper1
02/07/2012, 01:18 PM
If you pay attention closely, you can tell when branches are about to fall off, so you can pull them off and then remove/attach them where you want. I attached mine to LR rubble via rubber bands and then sold them to to my LFS for like $2 each once they reached 3-4 inches. You end up missing some, but it definitely slows the rate at which it spreads all over your tank.

john miller
02/07/2012, 01:20 PM
I sell my frags. That one coral made me a couple hundred dollars last year.

MadOTC
02/07/2012, 01:20 PM
It's crazy how much they spread. I had one grow out of a rock i bought with some zoas on it a couple years ago, and now I throw them out by the handfuls every week. They are everywhere in my tank.

jcw
02/07/2012, 01:24 PM
friends don't sell friends kenya trees or gsp :spin2:

snorvich
02/07/2012, 01:29 PM
friends don't sell friends kenya trees or gsp :spin2:

Exactly. Maybe not even give them away.

njudson
02/07/2012, 01:37 PM
Exactly. Maybe not even give them away.

Nothing wrong with bringing them to your LFS for credit though. I do this with my green monti I consider a weed but it pays for my colorful sticks.

Grayhead
02/07/2012, 01:39 PM
That is one purchase I wish I never made. I have mine isolated now on a piece of rock about the size of a baseball. Fortunately it doesn't reproduce fast enough to cause major issues. But if it touches another rock it will grow on it. Anyone want to buy it LOLOL

Zoomadness
02/07/2012, 01:47 PM
Mine will grow in my sump! My lfs won't take GSP, Xenia or Tree coral. I give it away to friends when I can.

Putty
02/07/2012, 02:26 PM
Selling the frags is a good idea. Some of the pieces are an inch or so in size. I wouldn't know how to make it stick to a certain thing being that small.

sqwat
02/07/2012, 04:11 PM
i sell them and feed them to my nem he loves them i also feed my nem xena and palm coral.he is like a dumster.lol

john miller
02/07/2012, 06:02 PM
Selling the frags is a good idea. Some of the pieces are an inch or so in size. I wouldn't know how to make it stick to a certain thing being that small.

Gel super glue. My LFS gives me $2 for small ones and $3 for anything over 1 1/2". Just dropped off 20 tonight.

kelrn98
02/07/2012, 06:49 PM
Xenia killed my tank! It spread like a wild fire. Crazy.

radicaltimes
02/07/2012, 07:11 PM
Remember it is an animal ? O well it is not a plant. But give it to somebody before you flush it. I'm not a tree hugger and used to flush mine until my LFS told me they are a living creature. And they would take them from me, for free that is. Advertise on craigslist and give somebody a good deal.

Putty
02/08/2012, 11:13 AM
Gel super glue. My LFS gives me $2 for small ones and $3 for anything over 1 1/2". Just dropped off 20 tonight.

Good deal you have going there. I'll have to look into that here.

john miller
02/08/2012, 01:38 PM
I buy my frag plugs 100 at a time off that huge auction site, buy the glue at work, use eggcrate for racks and put in existing tanks so I only have about 35 cents in each frag. When the LFS doesn't need any I post on CL, 2 for $5, they sell quickly and most of the time all to the same person.

Jopalmighty
11/01/2012, 04:58 PM
The kenya tree in my tank is budding like crazy. I tried pouring my water chage water directy towards it to make it mad and hopefully kill it. I think it just responded by dropping more frags. Dangit!

rogersb
11/01/2012, 05:24 PM
I was at a guy's house a couple days ago with a kenya tree/gsp/green paly dominated 180g. It's not something I want in my house, but it was pretty neat and very easy to care for. Just be warned that kenya trees will dominate if allowed.

MondoBongo
11/01/2012, 06:49 PM
The kenya tree in my tank is budding like crazy. I tried pouring my water chage water directy towards it to make it mad and hopefully kill it. I think it just responded by dropping more frags. Dangit!

from what i can tell these things are near indestructible.

i had 3 come in on my LR as hitchhikers.

they survived the cycle, the algae blooms, noob mistakes, and everything else.

thankfully they haven't dropped too many branches yet, but the largest one keeps growing and i am just waiting for it to start shedding.

davidadelp
11/01/2012, 09:24 PM
Anyone have a good sized Kenya or Colt ( same thing I think) they want to get rid of?? Im looking for one, I use to have one in my old reef and would love to have another one but would like it to be a good sized one! I dont mind it spreading!

A New Guy
11/01/2012, 10:53 PM
When I get my tank set up, I'll take a few trees. Im new to this, it would be cool to have something to watch grow

Alavaster
11/02/2012, 11:05 AM
They grow incredibly fast, but quickly become a nuisance.

Misled
11/02/2012, 04:33 PM
Anyone have a good sized Kenya or Colt ( same thing I think) they want to get rid of?? Im looking for one, I use to have one in my old reef and would love to have another one but would like it to be a good sized one! I dont mind it spreading!

If you ever get to Pittsburgh, pm me.

davidadelp
11/02/2012, 04:57 PM
YIf you ever get to Pittsburgh, pm me.

Will you ship lol I don't see me making it to Pittsburgh.

hossa81
11/02/2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks for making feel good about getting mine this weekend LOL. Although if mine spreads i think ill just put them in my 55(it would be a good touch to fish only as well as a food source maybe for my picasso) , fuge or maybe even Qt. any others lll sell them to lfs or friends

Reef Chris
11/02/2012, 05:20 PM
:fun2: I hate how fast they spread.

Misled
11/02/2012, 05:39 PM
Y

Will you ship lol I don't see me making it to Pittsburgh.

pm me an address.

Roadki11
11/02/2012, 07:21 PM
I've had mine for 3 months and it hasn't grown too much, probably because I have it in an area with a little too much flow (at least that's what I keep telling myself and that it's not because my water sucks). But my xenia seems to be making a run for it. It's jumped over a couple inches in the last few months away from all the flow without growing too much.