PDA

View Full Version : What sand do you have?

MattinIdaho
02/07/2012, 03:43 PM
I have Marcosand in my 120 right now. It's nice sand and it is white but I got the course and the big pieces are bigger than I want and the fine particles are too fine (my wrasses cause a sandstorm everyday). I'm setting up a 180 this weekend and would like some nice white fine sand. Something along the lines of Caribsea Pink or Oolite but would love to hear some opinions. Because of the lack of lfs anywhere near me I will have to buy it online.
I would LOVE to see as many opinions on this as possible.

newyorkerx
02/07/2012, 06:09 PM
Tropic Eden Arag Snow. It is very fine, but doesn't get blown around by the MP-10 in a 38-gallon tank (assuming it isn't turned up all of the way).

newyorkerx
02/07/2012, 06:10 PM
And, I should add that it is available online. It looked a bit yellowish in the bag, but looks sparkling white in the tank. It was also amazingly clean and didn't really need rinsed. Check it out.

bhsgk
02/07/2012, 06:21 PM
Caribsea seaflor special grade reef sand, most of the big tank builds that I've followed have used this stuff including melev, its really white and big enough for my wrasses's to not cause a sandstorm but it doesn't look like a bunch of marbles in the tank either

ZOKU
02/07/2012, 06:41 PM
I'm currently leaning towards the Tropic Eden Mini Reef Flakes... I've read really good reviews about it not being blown all over the place in high flow tanks. :)

tebstan
02/07/2012, 07:00 PM
I've got Carib Sea's Bimini Pink. I love it!

It's not all white, which is a little more natural to me. It has the occasional bit of pink rock and bits of shell. I picked it because of the grain size. On Carib Sea's web site they have a chart to help you figure out what grain size you'd want.

I knew I wanted a pistol shrimp, so sugar fine sand was out - he has way too much fun building with the stuff he finds in the sand.

I also wanted a sifter of some sort, so too chunky wouldn't work either. Bimini Pink was the perfect in-between for me.

1pix4c
02/07/2012, 07:29 PM
southdown from home depot got a pallet years ago but they dont sell it anymore

stadler51
02/07/2012, 08:50 PM
caribsea seaflor special grade reef

tunafishe
02/07/2012, 09:12 PM
I got Macro Rock fine sand :(. The thing blows everywhere!

MattinIdaho
02/07/2012, 09:26 PM
southdown from home depot got a pallet years ago but they dont sell it anymore

I just found 700lbs of this tonight. Do you like it?

Playa-1
02/07/2012, 10:37 PM
I'm using white safe play sand. Bought it locally and is marketed for use in sand boxes where silica dust is undesirable. It's also used for golf sand traps and ash trays in hotels among other things ;)