PDA

View Full Version : RO waste water

tompetty
02/07/2012, 04:53 PM
I know there's tons of uses but is it ok to drink?

bretcummings
02/07/2012, 05:51 PM
I think it would be safe, but not recommended.

sirreal63
02/07/2012, 06:01 PM
Depends on what your initial tds is, if in the low 100's probably won't hurt you, if it is high then I wouldn't. People are weird about water lately, the same water I grew up on is suddenly not fit to drink? The things that are in our water are often good for us but somewhere in the bottled water granola nazi era water is somehow not acceptable unless it has everything filtered out of it. I don't know, I still drink tap but our tap is only in the high two hundreds. I water the grass with the RO waste because it is easier.

Gonzalex
02/07/2012, 07:52 PM
Well... if the water going in is ok to drink, why wouldnt the rejected water be ok?

Acropolooza
02/07/2012, 08:02 PM
Yea it is okay it is just water rejected from the RO but went through all other filter

Gonzalex
02/07/2012, 08:07 PM
As long as it doesnt go though the DI, I would drink it. Maybe I would, just wouldnt choose to.

sirreal63
02/07/2012, 08:21 PM
All of the things are rejected by the membrane will be in addition to the original TDS, minus whatever the sediment and carbon filters removed. That may or may not be bad, depends on what the initial tds is.

James77
02/07/2012, 08:22 PM
Well... if the water going in is ok to drink, why wouldnt the rejected water be ok?

The rejected water would be higher in TDS, not a big deal for most, unless you have some pretty crappy water. My ingoing city water has a TDS of about 55, so the TDS of the "waste" water would be of no concern to me. If anything it is better, since sediment and chlorine has been removed.

TimeConsumer
02/07/2012, 11:55 PM
It's drinkable. I use mine to brew beer.

myram
02/08/2012, 06:16 AM
My waste water TDS is actually lower then the incoming water from my well.
Incoming from my well is around 185-190, and waste water is around 135-140, and my finished water is 0.

Steve

Ron Reefman
02/08/2012, 07:47 AM
The rejected water would be higher in TDS, not a big deal for most, unless you have some pretty crappy water. My ingoing city water has a TDS of about 55, so the TDS of the "waste" water would be of no concern to me. If anything it is better, since sediment and chlorine has been removed.

Sorry but that just isn't always the case. My city water has a 450tds and my RO/DI 'waste' water has a 300tds. The stuff the sediment and charcoal filters take out is more then the reject stuff from what gets thru the membrane.

redfishblewfish
02/08/2012, 08:51 AM
It's drinkable. I use mine to brew beer.

LOL…this is the best use of waste water that I’ve ever heard. Now I end up with about 75 gallons of waste water a week….that’s a lot of beer. I don’t know if I could drink that much in a week, but I’d like to try! :hmm5:

Bottom line, it is safe to drink. I use mine for watering the lawn in warmer months, and the washing machine throughout the year.