PDA

View Full Version : dead snail

atteb66
02/07/2012, 11:06 PM
I was just wondering if a dead snail left in the tank would have any effect on the system if I did not notice it for a few days?

My tank is a pico 2.5 gal

:fish1:

lambchops
02/08/2012, 02:02 AM
depending on the size of the snail it might have an effect on the water since its in a 2.5 gallon tank. I would do a water change and it should be fine.

Ron Reefman
02/08/2012, 05:00 AM
In a tank that small I'd pull the dead snail right away. The water quality in a tank that size can chage in a matter of hours, you need to pay much closer attention to it than to a bigger tank. In a bigger tank I'd let the hermit crabs clean it up.

atteb66
02/08/2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks all, I did remove it promptly when I seen it, did my water change as well. I was just curious what effect if any it would have on a tank. All is fine now.

No more snails, I have never had luck with snails at anytime in this hobby but one critter I just love is the ring cowrie, the are so long lived for me and the best. I will be getting one of those guys next time I see them.

aleonn
02/08/2012, 02:02 PM
Your snails may simply be starving and then dying in your small tank, which may not have enough algae to sustain them. If that's the case, you may have to supplement their diet with Nori seaweed. Plus water parameters are more difficult in that sized tank (at least for me), and any significant fluctuation may doom those snails.