PDA

View Full Version : Reclusive Tusk Wrasse

bracket
02/08/2012, 08:24 AM
We purchased a Tusk Wrasse in October of 2011. Initially he was not eating but we did get him to eat Krill , Mysis shrimp and Formula 1. For the last several months he has taken up residence in the corner of our 250g tank. He refuses to swim outside of the corner other then to briefly venture out for food. I don't think he has swam around the tank for months. His color and eyes are good and he does eat. None of his tankmates are bothering him. Any thoughts on what is up with him? He is a beautiful fish and I hate to see him huddled in the corner.

LisaD
02/08/2012, 09:17 AM
That isn't typical behavior for a harlequin tuskfish (is that what you have?) What are the tankmates? These fish can be shy. Also, have you checked water parameters? Is there plenty of cover in the tank?

MrTuskfish
02/08/2012, 10:43 AM
Assuming this is a harlequin Tusk. Do you know if this is an Australian or Indian Ocean HT? Estimate size? These fish often take a while to get out and about; the smaller ones usually take longer. Unless he's a juvi, I'd offer some meatier food too: bits of raw shrimp, small silversides, squid etc. This isn't going to solve the problem, but they are big, robust fish that need appropriate food. Here's a great pic of the two varieties; small fish won't have such dramatic color differences. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+380&pcatid=380

bracket
02/08/2012, 12:08 PM
It is a Harlequin about 7" long. The water parameters are good. The tankmates are Sailfin Tang, 6 bar Angel, Porcupine Puffer , Kole tang , Pinktail Trigger. There are two artificial coral towers which provide cover. He never takes cover in the coral only in this corner. I agree that the behavior is atypical.

MrTuskfish
02/08/2012, 12:24 PM
A long time to shy. But; he's eating, color & eyes are good, not being picked on, etc. I don't really see anything you can do. I lost my notes in Katrina; but do remember a couple of HTs taking at least 2 months to become part of the community. I have no direct experience; but have been told that I.O. tusks can take much longer than Aussies to get friendly. I'm sure that's due to shipping & collection practices. That stuff should have worn off by now, though. I don't see any reason you should really worry about him, though. Some fish just never become very social. Try opening a fresh clam and put in the tank near his area---he may venture out for that; and can use the meat.

barbianj
02/08/2012, 05:56 PM
Did you QT and de-worm him. Mine wouldn't eat much and was listless until a few days after the Prazi treatment was over. Now, he is constantly swimming all around the tank, and is usually the first one to greet me. No issues with the triggers at all, Blueline, Goldheart and Pinktail.

MrTuskfish
02/09/2012, 09:14 AM
Did you QT and de-worm him. Mine wouldn't eat much and was listless until a few days after the Prazi treatment was over. Now, he is constantly swimming all around the tank, and is usually the first one to greet me. No issues with the triggers at all, Blueline, Goldheart and Pinktail.

That's a great plus with HTs; they don't bother many fish and others leave them alone. I even keep an HT with Volitan lions.

bracket
02/09/2012, 03:25 PM
He was Qted but not dewormed . No other problems with worms in the tank. Could he be suffering from worms for the last 4 months?

MrTuskfish
02/10/2012, 09:35 AM
He was Qted but not dewormed . No other problems with worms in the tank. Could he be suffering from worms for the last 4 months?

Its possible, de-worming is safe & easy. (even in most DTs) But I just think you have a shy fish; fish are not all the same and you just can't make some fish act the way you want them too. Other than being a hermit; do you see any sign of illness, or being bullied, at all? If not, just let him set his own timetable; being shy isn't terminal. My Niger trigger completely hid except a feeding time, for at least as long as your HT. He's now an adult, up-front fish.