PDA

View Full Version : Any way to control my JBJ commercial (240V) chiller with aphex?

rkhettry23
02/08/2012, 01:50 PM
Title EDIT: "Apex"

So I didn't exactly plan this out 100% correctly. I had a 240volt line run to my filtration room for my 180 gallon reef. I bought a JBJ commercial chiller that hooks up to it. My question is how (if at all) can I incorporate one of my 8 outlets to the chiller? I was thinking there might be some module that can open and close the flow of 240 electricity from the wall to the chiller that is powered by a standard outlet....does anyone know how I could incorporate the two? I already threw away the box for my chiller and its been too long to return it...:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Thanks for any help!

MTWiley
02/08/2012, 02:33 PM
Might be able to find a 240v relay and then hook it's power source(usually low voltage) up to a power brick that you plug into an outlet on your power bar, other than that i'm not real sure what you could do. When the relay is energized it should close the circuit and provide 240v to your chiller when the relay isn't energized it would just have an open circuit and your chiller wouldn't have electricity.

rkhettry23
02/08/2012, 03:38 PM
Might be able to find a 240v relay and then hook it's power source(usually low voltage) up to a power brick that you plug into an outlet on your power bar, other than that i'm not real sure what you could do. When the relay is energized it should close the circuit and provide 240v to your chiller when the relay isn't energized it would just have an open circuit and your chiller wouldn't have electricity.

That sounds about right. Could you help me find a link for something like that? I'm not sure what keywords to use.

Mark Bianco
02/08/2012, 04:29 PM
Are you comfortable with making a small DIY relay box yourself?

rkhettry23
02/08/2012, 04:34 PM
Are you comfortable with making a small DIY relay box yourself?

I'm not personally, but a friend of mine might. Could you elaborate on what would be needed?

Thanks a lot!

Mark Bianco
02/08/2012, 06:23 PM
Just go to Radio shack or maybe Grainger and buy a small project box, a 8 pin or 11 pin 120v coil ice cube style relay and socket STDP (Single throw Double Pole), that is cabable of handling the chiller amperage and voltage, and a small extension cord. Then it a matter of just six connections. The extension cord will be used to power the coil from the Apex Engerybar. The two hot 240v wires will connect to one side of the relay contacts the other two will connect to the chiller or the chiller outlet.

What happens is when the Apex turns on the chiller outlet it engergizes the coil the contact pull in makes connection across the contacts and then the 240 v circuit is completed.

One thing the relay is a very small current draw so you will probably have to use either #4 or #8 on your Engerybar (The relay outlets) as small current devices sometimes have a problem with the other outlets that are Traic's I think.

Mark

Attreui
02/08/2012, 08:30 PM
I dont think youre going to find that at radio shack. Grainger would definitely have what you need though. What is the current load of the chiller? We could probably suggest something more specific if we know that.

The EB should have no problem powering it. I have a very low current relay on my pH system and the Triacs work fine with it.

rkhettry23
02/09/2012, 08:39 PM
I dont think youre going to find that at radio shack. Grainger would definitely have what you need though. What is the current load of the chiller? We could probably suggest something more specific if we know that.

The EB should have no problem powering it. I have a very low current relay on my pH system and the Triacs work fine with it.

I'm not sure what the "load" of the chiller is, but here is the link to the exact one I purchased.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=JB1111&child=JB1155&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=JB1155

Thanks again :beer:

Mark Bianco
02/10/2012, 10:22 AM
That page list three different chillers, if its a
1 hp has a 5.5 amp draw
2 hp has a 11 amp draw
3 hp has a 16 amp draw

I like to over build my electrical componets. If I was building the relay circiut. For the 1 hp I would buy a relay that will handel at least 10 amps and for the others a 20 to 25 amp. Not sure how high Ice cube style relays go. Check out www.grainger.com

kenargo
02/10/2012, 12:34 PM
I suggest contacting Neptune; I recall they have 220v line expansion boxes and if they do that would be exactly what you need. It is basically a 120 v relay the controls a 220 volt line.